What 2 blades would you carry for SHTF scenario?

Boy Howdy

I have been catching up on TWD and notice a wide variety of knives being carried by both the protagonist and antagonist.

From bird and trout knives to rather large fantasy type knives.

My question: what  2 blades, that you currently own, would you take with you when you bug out?

I personally would take my Navy MK 2 Conetta and Gerber multi tool.

Every one gets a free hatchet. Gotta have one!

Mods-if this thread is in the wrong place or inappropriate I apologize.

Feel free to move or remove it.

I was just curious what people, who have more knowledge and/or actual experience, think about what knife  to use in actual survival situations.

TWD is The Walking Dead. Fantasy I know but it got me thinking.

I lived through two hurricanes, Andrew in South Florida and Sandy here in NJ.

Things could have went bad real fast either time.

I know there are more than a few veterans here and many with combat experience.

I would value their opinions.

I carry a Swiss Army Tinker on my belt everyday (Phillips screwdriver and scissors get used almost every day at the hangar) and I have a repro JPK I carry in my truck. I have many other blades, but carrying any of those depends on the situation (hiking, camping, etc.). So if I was bugging out, I'd have at least those 2. 

FYI, I used to watch TWD but it got too disjointed and depressing for me to watch after the 3rd season or so. It just kept getting worse and worse. 

Link to the repro JPK: 

Thank you both for your input!

Now we're cooking with gas!

MattS- I only recently started binge watching TWD to catch up and I have to admit there are quite a few KFC?!? story lines.

But then I remember the show is based on a graphic comic book. 🙄

It'll take me sometime to get my head around the idea I can only have two knives.  The knives I collect are one thing.  While many of them would and are still very functional I don't look at them that way.  

I'm afraid two minutes after I decided on which two knives I'd use I'd come up with several more exceptions.

I know exactly how you feel!

Do I take  my BIG Bowie, a filet knife, JPK, Mora knives. machete, and the list goes on and on and on......

9th Infantry Manchu

My son was home in Feb from USMC BootCamp and AIT, a new 0311 Rifleman, so I gave him my personal-purchase KaBar that I carried in the Army 30-years ago...so that is out if the Zombie Apocalypse happens....these days I carry a Gerber folder my brother gave me as a best man gift....it has a bottle opener in it which sees more use than the blade :D

Yeah, if I had to consider an actual survival situation I would have to consider many things I have - like build a bug-out bag. It would be complicated. If I was suddenly cut of from my home then I would be in a pickle.

Toilet paper now comes to mind!!

Dave

Each car has a Gerber USGI Multi-tool.  My car has an Ontario Mark 2.  My wife's car has a Phrobis M9 bayonet.  Each car also has a folding knife tuck away.  My bug-out kit has a hatchet, USAF survival set (axe, small shovel, and saw), and a Gerber fixed knife.

Maybe a little overkill, but there never is a knife far away.

There are some other items, but this is the wrong forum for those.

I'll carry the same two I carried in the army,  my Camillus MK2, and my Swiss Army. Also  like to sport an Ontario machete.  Why change?  SKIP

I hate having to limit myself to two knives.  However, this is just an exercise.  First, I have a Cold Steel Code 4 folder.  I picked this because it's my EDC knife.  The blade is strong and the Tri-ad lock back is the strongest in the industry. The aluminum scales are are very thin and considering that it's a rather large knife, it still easily slips into my pocket and stays out of the way.  The two modifications I did were to ad a worn out diamond impregnated rubber wheel to assist me in opening (I call it my training wheel), and I put an acorn nut on the handle to assist in a fast easy retrieval.  It does not interfere with the pocket clip on the other side. 

My second pick is a Cattaraugus 225Q.  It's a little shorter than a Kabar, but it's much stronger. 

Marv

resized_IMG_3229.JPG

I would start the sojourn into post apocalypse with the following two from my own horde...

This BLUED '71 Gerber MK-II:

image.png.780b47f7ca61c8e765599f0bd944fca5.png

image.png.53f1b5d38bb342e942187c8bed79263d.png

and this PARKERIZED '40s "JAGGED IRON CAGE" knucked KA-BAR:

image.png.7e8e97addd479fa8f42f481899e1dc02.png

image.png.46bfa8cb9a1c247076e8790e6f087a6a.png

image.png.5848ea4ecaec312831328fe441045f30.png

Using these, I will procure by whatver means necessary any other survival implements or tools, including additional blades, in the field.

NOTE: if allowed to bring three blades, my third would be this folding machete -- quite versatile a 'tool" for survival work (image from web; did not have "handy" a photo of my own Imperial Folding Machete, which includes the carrying pouch and stone as depicted in the photo below):

image.png.e588d03935df4557ecd98ccf1e22c7d8.png

I think I would take what I used in the Army in the 70's when I was stationed in Germany. These performed well in the field for me. The bigger knife acted as my cutting tool, pry bar and screwdriver on occasion.

knife2.JPG

KFields personal knife 2.JPG

Hi kfields,

What make and model is that top knife you posted?  That looks pretty nice and useful as well.  Of course a Buck folder is good as well.