Buyer Beware M1 bayonet from Bill Porter collection

Misfit 45

When I first saw this on ebay, my heart went bump bump.  This is the most unusual M1 I have ever seen.  Then I looked closer.  Do you see what I see?  Item number 353456839430

Marv

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

9th Infantry Manchu

I saw that yesterday, first thought was WOW...followed by, hmmmmmmmm.........

So question, if this was welded then say milled, why wouldn't rephosphating have removed the discoloration? (Its the discoloration up into the blade about an in h into the fuller?)

Being marked PAL-MOD? Someone or PAL welded on a blade with fuller ending before the tip of the blade? Very unlikely PAL cared about the open fuller ground down end. The scabbard having the crimped on metal throat area.

Frank Trzaska

Just to be clear, Bill Porter had it marked as a reweld in his original collection inventory. 

7 minutes ago, Frank Trzaska said:

Just to be clear, Bill Porter had it marked as a reweld in his original collection inventory. 

I'm sure Bill thought this was a great novelty piece.  Bill was a straight shooter.  He wouldn't have sold this as a legit "transition" M1.  

What I see here is a cutdown 1905 modified by PAL, which had a piece of another bayonet (1905,or M1) welded on;  to look like a "new made" M1 bayonet.

Thanks Frank, for entering the conversation and letting us know a little about this bayonet.   The reason I posted this in the first place, is because it was listed a being from the B Porter collection. Bill's reputation of having some of the rarest bayonets around, might entice someone to miss or overlook the fact that this was a re-weld.

Marv

Frank Trzaska

I agree Marv, Bill had one of the biggest collections known full of real premium pieces. He also picked up whimsical items like toy bayonets made from plastic or rubber, movie prop bayonets made from wood, aluminum. plastic and conversions to make one look like another type. Even some of the Bannerman types although few sockets which he did not care for.

I just wanted to make sure folks did not think he is or was involved in this, he identified it correctly.  👍

7 hours ago, 9th Infantry Manchu said:

I saw that yesterday, first thought was WOW...followed by, hmmmmmmmm.........

So question, if this was welded then say milled, why wouldn't rephosphating have removed the discoloration? (Its the discoloration up into the blade about an in h into the fuller?)

Parkerizing doesn't cover the metal so much as it chemically interacts with it and leaves a coating.  Differences in the metal even the hardness of the surface in places can make what we see in the pictures.

Your'e welcome.  I used to play around with reparkerizing old parts of things and would often get impatient with the way results would vary so much.  Eventually learned from others that it was often more art and luck then attention to details.

misfit45-

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't notice the weld area! I am not sure I see it now....but I would have bid bunches! 

So a tip-o-the-hat to you!