Need Lookup in Connecticut World War Service Record Books

FlyNavy02

Hi all,

Does anyone have a set of Connecticut World War I service record books? I'm looking for a service record for a sailor, Herbert Wayne Derway of Hartford.

Thanks

Jay

If it is Herbert Warner Derway, bio is below.  If it is Herbert Wayne Derner then I did not see an entry for that name.

DERWAY, HERBERT WARNER
131-01-74,
42 Norfolk St.,
Hartford, Conn.
USN Navy Rctg Sta Hartford, Conn.
June 25/17. Age at Entrance 24
Yrs 4 Mos. AS. Nav Tng Sta Newport
RI June 25/17 to Feb 26/18;
NAS Hampton Roads Va Feb 26/
18 to Nov 11/18. AS 64 das; Sea
2c 307 das; MM 2c (A) 123 das;
MM Ic (A) 10 das. Disch July 17/
19 Nav Tng Sta Hampton Rds Va.
CMM (A).

Below are Derway's acid-etched dog tag, numbered Hartford, CT 1 of 600 pin, War Service Electrical Communication pin and a Shipyard Volunteer pin.

1057131208_DerwayCMM(A)HerbertW..jpg.a24709b2c5699bec01e9422c697f99fa.jpg

That is the first of that Hartford pin I have seen.  Could you please post a photo of its reverse side? 

Do you (or anyone else) know the story behind the pin? I would suspect these were given to Hartford men who either enlisted when the Government called for volunteers in 1917 of for the June 5th draft registration.

Dennis

Dennis,

This Hartford Courant newspaper article explains the recruiting campaign. The pin is mentioned at the bottom of column 1. I will take a photo of the back this weekend. In the meantime, you can see one (317) at Worthpoint: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wwi-city-hartford-ct-service-badge-am-453541602

The pins were made by the Whitehead & Hoag Co. of Newark. Derway received pin 225.

My state, Maryland, had a similar recruiting drive for 800 men for the Navy. Their names are on a bronze plaque in the State House in Annapolis.

Link: https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdstatehouse/html/annex_wwI_plaque.html 

Regards,

Jay

227319984_Hartford600Article.jpg.b90601074b87e81c29b741f4e315c4f8.jpg

Jay,

Thanks very much for all that information on the badge and the recruiting drives. Appreciate the effort.  It was all very informative.

Dennis