Desert Storm gas mask - M17A1 or only M17A2?

MartinPL

Hi guy´s, I was wondering if during Desert Storm M17A1 gas mask was still issued or all US personnel had M17A2´s. I´m especially interested about USMC.

Thank you in advance for help wit that one. 

• 2 weeks later...

"All" is a crazy word when takling about the US military.   I don't think "All" personnel were issued a M17A2, especially the USMC, they usually get the old stuff.  The M17A1 and M17A2 are impossible to tell apart from a simple photo...and some M17A1s were repurposed to the M17A2 spec.   Both were used until 1992ish.  I don't see any reason both were not used during Desert Storm.    This is one of those questions you just have to ask the people who were there.

I can say this, if you have to get one for a display....the M17A1 is the cooler mask to get.  The M17A2 does not add new features, it actually removes a feature from the M17A1.

I don't think we even thought about it.  We were issued the gas masks and filters, assembled them (always remembering to take the wrapping off the filters), tested them, and put them away.  M17A1 or M17A2 didn't mean much as long as the one you have works.

As an aside, I assembled mine myself; I had hears stories of masks being assembled wrong so when I got mine, I put it together carefully and tested it before putting it away.  The hardest part was getting the glasses inserts positioned correctly so that they actually worked.  I still have my inserts as I took them out before turning in the mask.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your answers. i was wondering same way about USMC. They use to get older gear. I was trying to see markings on the bags on some photos but they are impossible to tell. I will get M17A1 then.