Engraving question on USN Good Conduct medal

Tonomachi

I don't know that much about engraving styles on US medals and I was wondering if the engraving on this 1914 USN Good Conduct medal was legitimate?  For something this old you would think that the engraving would have tarnished by now but it has that gold glint.  Thanks in advance for your help.

100531396_3_x.jpg

Here is a contemporary medal to a Messman, or Mess Attendant 1C. Looks like it was done by a similar machine.

Rob

D44E1AA5-A49E-4DDA-A383-2B594B0E02AD.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve seen a Navy GCM engraved just like yours before. It looks kind of sloppy in my opinion. Is it authentic? I think more opinions on the engraving are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Both the medal and the engraving look authentic. Based on the die details, the medal dates from the mid-teens (about 1915-16). It was probably engraved and issued about 1916-18. I have a near identical example, dated 1912, that was issued in late 1917. (Strangely, receipt wasn't acknowledged until seven months later.)

Based on the die detail and engraving, the 1913 dated GCM to the USS Pittsburgh shown above wasn't issued until the early 1920s.

GCM 1912 4b.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-12 a.jpg