Maui Volunteer a rare patch on Ebay

mortaydc60

Saw this offering today and just wanted to caution forum members about this listing. Seller is well known but is not a collector and has no knowledge on subject and states so i the listing. At first blush the patch attracts your interest since it is very rare and not often for sale. After i checked further I would say this is an Asia reproduction. Just wanted the forum to be aware and avoid bidding on this item. Pics are enclosed as reference. Hope this is of some help in avoiding a mistake.

Mort

s-l1600-68.jpg

s-l1600-67.jpg

vintageproductions

These were made in the 1960's for collectors as space fillers for really rare patches.

Thanks Bob for the extra information. People are bidding it and thought it would be helpful to the newer collectors to offer some advice and guidance so as to avoid any pitfalls. Since I am not actively collecting any longer I feel an obligation to pass on any help to other collectors, in a way to payback all the people who helped me when I started and asked everyone for help and asking at shows ,"is this good or a reproduction ?" Special thanks to Bill Scott,the Johnson brother,Dave Kaufman and too many that have past on who answered my questions.

Mort

By the way the auction ended and someone wasted almost $220. Pay to be a forum member as well as ASMIC.

Thanks Mort, that's what this hobby is about, helping the other person learn. This forum has been very valuable to me,  it's one of the few sites I access. 

Here's what the reverse thread pattern should look like on an original. (vertical rows rather than the scattered Asian manufacturing style)

MV patch.jpg

Thanks Kurt for the view of the back which would be helpful to those not familiar. By the way there is another "tell" this patch was not correct and if you look closely the legs of the M are BOTH in front on the FAKE and on the REAL one leg is in Front and one Behind the V.  *see correction below

Mort