M1911 Campaign Hat?

Buffalo Grunt

Buffalo Grunt

I recently acquired this campaign hat ..  Is this a M1911 hat? I'm kind of confused, as I see the peaked hats and these style hats ..

Underside of sweatband: Size 6 7/8"

D. E. Loewe & Company - Danbury, Connecticut

IMG_4040.jpg.ea86bdba7c756e458cf9c7713aa54140.jpgIMG_4041.jpg.5e5ed5e9148b0e9b6f7a53628d516267.jpgIMG_4043.jpg.f0fa6830575c1bbcf1054635ca5e5a17.jpgIMG_4050.jpg.8b7ba1d63883d43ce8044c871858b0c4.jpgIMG_4049.jpg.44ead7327ca271e3afa827bca97c5e33.jpgIMG_4044.jpg.1b9a48a8c65085c8742e77dc42c7505c.jpg

This hat is mint, I don't think it was worn a lot, if at all .. cord was cut off at one point and it's missing the chin strap .. any information would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I believe it is the M1911 Montana peak hat WWI vintage with the five rows of stitching around the brim. It has been re-shaped and that shape reflects a style of earlier vintage. As you know the cord would have likely denoted branch of service....blue infantry, red artillery for example. The leather chin strap could be replaced, many of them were a style that wrapped around the ribbon passing through the two holes on each side and buckling under the chin. I have purchased a couple, over the years to replace missing ones on caps in my collection. There was a show string type strap also worn, which resembled the cloth ties used on dog tags in WWI.

This by the way is not the Marine style hat, which had a folded brim around the edge. This one would have been worn by Army, air corps, etc. clean one, I would probably reblock it to the correct shape if it were me. Best, Kevin 

Buffalo Grunt

Thanks Kevin .. I appreciate the information.  I'll have to see if I can find anyone who does restorations .. 

Don

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Grunt said:

Thanks Kevin .. I appreciate the information.  I'll have to see if I can find anyone who does restorations .. 

Don

It should be easy to reshape it if that's what you want to do.  Either it will be plyable and done in a coulple of seconds, or you could use some combination of steam and/or mild heat to soften the felt and do your thing.

Allan H.

You can go to just about any place that sells high end western hats, like Stetson, and ask the guy that shapes them to put a "Montana Peak" in your hat. He'll probably charge you $5 and it will look like the day it was made.

Allan

268th C.A.

Allan is right, I lived in Ft Worth for many years, its amazing to watch these guys clean and reshape a hat. The old guys really know what there doing. Good Luck! 

USARV72

Many years ago knew this WWII Marine who was in before the war, he told me the 4 “ dents” in the hats meant,” I will not work”. LOL

Here are my examples.

By the way it is not a difficult taking to reshape. If you have a tea kettle or just standard pot, fill with water and let the steam do the work. first push up the inside  (so as to make a dome) and then do a light pinch at the four eyelets. Felt is very forgiving. I would advise against soap or water though.

hats (2).jpg