Maine Civil War Veteran’s Appreciation Certificate

carrabassett

I’m traveling for work and picked this up at a local antique shop. Guy said he just got this out of an old house yesterday (looks like it came from a barn!). Thought it was pretty cool even though it’s not usually my era of collecting. I like the facsimile signature of Joshua Chamberlain along with his picture.

861ADBCF-B624-49EB-B349-538F502C3813.jpeg

BB4253ED-0425-413F-B595-9394457CD115.jpeg

cylekostello

Neat find, 

Looks like it's for George P Meader. HDS' ACW database had this info about Meader, not sure how much you knew already but figured it was worth sharing. 

George P. Meader

Residence Stoneham ME; 23 years old. Enlisted on 12/16/1863 as a Private. On 12/16/1863 he mustered into "G" Co. ME 29th Infantry He was discharged for wounds on 8/12/1865 He was listed as: * Wounded 10/19/1864 Cedar Creek, VA (Severely wounded in left leg, amputated)

carrabassett

Wow, that’s awesome! I hadn’t done any research so that’s great information. Thanks very much!  Jim

Old Crow 1986
15 hours ago, carrabassett said:

Thought it was pretty cool even though it’s not usually my era of collecting.

I t-r-y and keep my collection focused.  BUT...anything associated with Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain - I somehow, someway would have the funds and space for that!

Great find!  Thanks for sharing.

(and credit for an assist goes to cylekostello for finding the information on Private Meader)

Nice find to a soldier with a great/ tragic history.

Agree anything Chamberlain is desirable.  Too bad he didn't hand sign these!

Scott