USMC USS Delaware WW1 Group

Jtski

Hello,

I would like to share this group of medals to Sergeant John H. Neese, USMC - who served from 1915-1919 with Wartime service aboard the USS Delaware during WW1.

I was very fortunate to obtain his complete service record including portrait photo and details of his career confirming his Good Conduct Medal entitlement. There is no specific mention of his WW1 Victory Medal and clasp entitlement however the Delaware was eligible for the GRAND FLEET clasp.

With regard to the Maltese Cross device, it appears unauthorized as there is no mention in his record of having shore service with the AEF. Understanding it was common for AEF Marine veterans to wear the cross in error on the service medal ribbon versus the ribbon bar, I wonder if it was also common practice for non-AEF Marines to indicate their branch of service?

Of particular interest, given the Grand Fleet did not participate in any major actions, Sgt Neese's service record for Feb 1918 specifies:

"Participated in engagement with German submarines in the North Sea, off coast of Norway."

Both Neese's Good Conduct Medal and Sharpshooter badge are named. The Military Order of the Serpent is un-named but an interesting addition.

Jeff

usmc2.jpg

usmc3.jpg

Very nice grouping, thanks for sharing. I thought the Maltese cross on the ribbon was worn by Marines outside of the Fourth Brigade (ie the Marines who didn’t serve in the 5th or 6th Regiments). I know it was worn on Victory medals awarded to the Fifth Brigade, those who arrived in France in October but never saw combat. I think I remember reading that ship board Marines in WWI wore it as well. I have always seen this device attached to the medal ribbon like yours. Again, nice grouping. Kevin

It is a very complete grouping and the process to obtain a digital copy of his service record was very smooth overall.

I can see how the Maltese cross must have become an unofficial way for veterans to identify as Marines, a good idea anyhow even if not it's official intended purpose. 

Wish there was more detailed record of the engagement with German submarines however I can only find brief mention of it.

Jeff

• 2 years later...

An update to this set, I have the recipient's service record and inserted the section describing his wartime service. The print is of the USS Delaware leaving the Firth of Forth in Scotland 1918 so very fitting.

Jeff

20230417_223231.jpg