Hello from Canada

Jtski

Hello,

I am thankful for the opportunity to join this forum. My main interests are medals and decorations while my passion for US medals started at a young age with my Grandfather. He was a Boatswain's Mate 3rd Class in the U.S. Naval Reserve from 1943-45 - I will always remember his stories on shore patrol in San Diego and as a landing craft driver in the Philippines. He never saw combat but was preparing for the invasion of Japan and was thankful to have not had to witness that. One of his most memorable stories included getting his landing craft stuck on a coral reef somewhere in the Philippines and having to get all the marines to jump out and give him a push off! My fascination with medals started with him, his uniform was burned in a fire out at his ranch after he moved to Canada after the War so when I was around twelve we found the paperwork to have his medals replaced and they were sent to him - they remain a treasured memory of him today.

Since then I have enjoyed studying ribbon bars from all of the services from WW1 to the present day and am fascinated by the service and stories they represent. I look forward to sharing in this interest with you all.

Jeff