Old Wood Objects

dmar836

Just thought I'd share what I like to do to SOME wooded things, Don't do this to a priceless antique or to an M-1 helmet.... or do. Just don't blame me. This isn't to restore a piece - it's to liven it up and protect a bit.

The formula is actually not far off from what is compatible with many older wood finishes. It's the way it is applied that could do harm.

The mix is carnuba paste wax, boiled linseed oil, and, depending on the mood, some type of solvent. Toss a splash of naphtha or spirits in or leave that part out. It's super flexible. I stir it to look like wet peanut butter - almost dripping. Many, even furniture restorers, apply such mixtures with 0000 steel wool. I did that here but just use a rag if you are concerned with damage. The more solvent and the more you run with steel wool the more age you will remove(that gross, pasty, black goo in the corners). Rub it in pretty good either way but don't break through the original finish. It'll kind of soak in so I like to add another layer with my fingers or a rag and leave it kind of thick. Leave it for a few minutes - not critical. Buff off with a clean cloth... or a waxy cloth then a clean one... not super critical. It'll take on a luster and you'll buff until it isn't sticky or gooey feeling. Smoof!

I have a couple wooden plaques or post ends or something someone gave to me. They have just been in the garage collecting dust, metal shavings, welding smoke, whatever is always out there. These would look the part as bases for styrofoam heads. Before and after:

thumbnail5.jpg.8f37113e091175611e17be718c969dc5.jpg

I think it would look better than the modern wooden plaques I used.

thumbnail6.jpg.7a75fddce2c23f4d29024d3d096cd158.jpg

I have this box that was originally from a '30s small crystal radio. Don't know where I got it but it was empty. Maybe one day I'll build there but it's been sitting out in the garage as well. Here's a before and after:

thumbnail.jpg.9c0d08cce39d1aea5c6a8db259112c6f.jpg

A lot better.

thumbnail3.jpg.20bec7b94367d90d6b60920befbce379.jpg

A little felt and I think I'll keep some stuff in there for a while.

thumbnail4.jpg.a094bec110736e824c1d5935e8f582b5.jpg

Have fun!

Dave

thumbnail5.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg