Keeping A Promise!

AZPhil

Hello To All,

77 years ago today the 384th Bomb Group took off from Grafton Underwood UK Station 106 on a mission to the Ball Bearing Factories at Schweinfurt Germany.

On this mission between the time of 13:54 and 13:57, 6 out of 7 B-17's from the 384th Bomb Group, 545th Bomb Squadron were shot down.

My Uncle TSgt Joseph Rachunas was a Tail gunner and my Friend TSgt. Phillip Chaperon was the Left waist gunner on one of those B-17's, The Mrs Geezil.

They survived and became POW's at Stalag 17B for the duration of the War.

This is Ben's story!!

An Aviation Masterpiece & The Story Behind It.

http://squawkin-chicken.384thbombgroup.com/page2.html

I was very fortunate to become friends with Dewayne "Ben" Bennett. The pilot of the only B-17 from the 545th Bomb Squadron to make it back to base that day.

Ben had helped me with all the information about the day my Uncle and Phil were shot down.

He also pointed me in the direction of the 384th website. Where I have become a member and entered combat crews from the original loading list to the database.

While speaking with Ben about this day he told me that he wanted the memory of the men who lost their lives that day to be remembered.

I told him I would do that for him. He passed away in March of 2011. I am Keeping my promise to him. I miss ya Ben!!!!!

The first attachment is Ben's list of the men that died that day!

While I have posted those names for years, It wasn't until recently that someone posted a photo of 1stLt.Bedsole that I realized I have never seen these men's faces. So this started my journey into finding them all. I still need to find 4 more men to complete this mission, But here are the faces of the men who I have found and who's names appear on that list! This is the second and third attachment.

The 4th attachment is also something Ben had given me.

It is the flight formation before and after the attack.

The 5th and final attachment is the Schweinfurt mission map. This was the last gift from Ben before he passed.

They say you die twice! Once when you take your last breath, Then when the last person says your name for the last time!

Say Their Names. Keep their memories Alive!

Always Remember, Never Forget!

If anybody has or knows a way for me to get a photo of the last Gentlemen, I would greatly appreciate any help.

They are as follows.

From the 545th Bomb Squadron, on the Miller Crew:

SSgt Saul J.Schelberg, Ball Turret, Home Town: Bronx,NY.

SSgt Howard R.LeConey, Waist Gunner, Home Town: Riverside,NJ.

From the 547th Bomb Squadron, On the Tollison Crew:

2ndLt Willis R.Fitzsimmons, Navigator, Home Town: Meta,MO.

2ndLt Roy(NMI)McGinnis, Bombardier, Home Town: Alhumbra,CA.

I hope this message finds you all well during these difficult times. Stay Safe!

Semper Fi and as Ben would sign off,

"Your Fren"

Phil

1245566474_Schweinfurtdead4-13-09corrected.jpg.5d69e9a73b961d4215d5bfb0ee06014b.jpg38427423_SchweinfurtdeadwithnamesNEW1Page1.jpeg.d6fd8688ba1880d0cd54fd608e4fe217.jpeg281819158_SchweinfurtdeadwithnamesNew1Page2.jpg.ed132bab10deadbabba1815910c08031.jpg843240687_schweinfurt4-1344formbeforafterACgroupingresizeto30.jpg.04a903db3b796ca4983e13d4c48cefab.jpg1908152186_Schweinfurtmap4-13-44.jpg.11b721e31bc40e4bfd7619010ebdd708.jpg