Can anyone ID this uniform?

jkeeffeps911

jkeeffeps911

My father, Lt James Keeffe (B-24 copilot with the 389th BG, was a POW at Stalag Luft III, Center Compound, from Aug 1944.  One of the German guards, Sgt. Wilhelm Stranghoner, was the senior German NCO assigned to Center Compound at the stalag.  He was a decent fellow and was invited to a few POW reunions, all expenses paid, in the US after the war.  In a collection of photos at the USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, this photo is marked as being Sgt. Stranghoner.  My father is gone now and can not confirm if this is the Sgt or not.  Does the uniform this man is wearing match what a German Luftwaffe sergeant would possibly wear?

76b-Popeye.jpg

TheCrustyBosun

The man in the photo is in the Luftwaffe, but I’m not up on my German ranks. I do believe this is a sergeant.  

jkeeffeps911

I forgot to say that Stalag Luft III was run by the German Luftwaffe hence all the German personnel wore air force uniforms .  It was one of two POW camps where Allied officer airmen were sent, and was located in what is now Poland.  The other POW camp for Allied officer airmen was Stalag I up at Barth, Gr.  Stalag Luft III is where the Great Escape occurred.

The thick silver border on the collar (called tresse) is the mark of a NCO. He is a Luftwaffe feldwebel, the equivalent of a tech sergeant. 

0E2FCFE4-B831-404F-9168-3F49258FA24F.jpeg

1 hour ago, jkeeffeps911 said:

I forgot to say that Stalag Luft III was run by the German Luftwaffe hence all the German personnel wore air force uniforms .  It was one of two POW camps where Allied officer airmen were sent, and was located in what is now Poland.  The other POW camp for Allied officer airmen was Stalag I up at Barth, Gr.  Stalag Luft III is where the Great Escape occurred.

Thats a great photo and great story about your dad. If you want to pursue it I would contact his association as many are still active and family members now carry the torch. Im guessing if this German Sargent was attending the reunions as a guest there are photos of him or even in association news letters.

jkeeffeps911

Good job all of you!  I have that picture above of the 1965 reunion with my father in the top left.  Aznation, I think you are pulling passages from Gen Spivey's 'POW Odyssey'.  I have my father's copy of that great book.  Also, if anyone is interested, I did write and publish my father's story.  The book is titled, 'Two Gold Coins and a Prayer: The Epic Journey of a World War II Bomber Pilot, Evader, and POW'.  Thanks for pointing out that the uniform is correct, so I will conclude that that photo is indeed of Popeye during the war.  Cheers!