Marine Estate Sale Score

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Found all this at one sale this morning. Just driving by saw a sign and stopped, I guess I lucked out.The marine good conduct, ww1 victory medal and EGA are of the same era so I assume they are from the same person (name on the back of the GCM). The mini medals are all to one guy who served WW2-Vietnam. If anyone can please identify the brass looking EGA. I am not a major collector of this era and know very little. Thanks in advance. ABN

post-1800-1233446006.jpg

post-1800-1233446087.jpg

post-1800-1233446097.jpg

post-1800-1233446104.jpg

James Evans was a Gunnery Sgt. in 1920. Here's the Muster Roll showing him getting that numbered GCM:

evans1920discharge.jpg

He first enlisted 12 Oct 1912 and appears to have spent WWI in Haiti.

The EGA looks to be a 1916 model for an enlisted dress uniform cap: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7110

Airborne-Hunter

Thank You Forum Support....I don't know if you can tell but there is glue residue on the back of the EGA and that would explain why the screw back is missing. I didn't think it was that early but what do I know. Thanks again. Chris here's another picture

post-1800-1233448765.jpg

nice---

brig would like those!

Brig loves those. the minis are fantastic, as is the named GC. If they ever need a good home *cough* thumbsup.gif

your intuition did you quite well today!

I couldnt find " James Evans" in Blakeneys book for an award of either the Silver Star or LOM for WWII or Korea. Probably a Father/Son group.

Kurt

Stinger Gunner USMC

If the name tag with the last name HORN came with the Mini's group then that could be a lead. There were a few marines with Horn as a last name that are listed as SS receipents on Homeofheroes.com. one in particluar (James M.) was awarded in Vietnam. I would suspect this marine was a VN awardee based on the two seperate sets of mini's (it looks like the bottom set is from his post korea days and the top to bars are with his VN awards.) Just speculation though. Good luck! and nice groupings thumbsup.gif

Airborne-Hunter
I couldnt find " James Evans" in Blakeneys book for an award of either the Silver Star or LOM for WWII or Korea. Probably a Father/Son group.

Kurt

Mr. Evans' items are the WW1 Victory, GCM, and bronze EGA. While the remainder of the items, I believe, belong to a Mr. "Horn." The Horn name came from the red name tag pictured above, in the ww2-vietnam picture. All of the items came from same box of which was made up entirely of USMC related items. There was no indication, to me, to believe there was any other service members in this box, so it was then possible for me to put groups back together.

I assumed that all the Pre-ww2 items belonged to Mr. Evans whom probably retired long before ww2. Knowing this I then put together Mr. Horn's items which had to be anything and everything left over. Taking from my medal knowledge, I was able to determine that the mini-medals were ww2 through vietnam, so anything in that time period could belong to this man. And since there was nothing post vietnam or belonging to anyone else, I was certain that anything ww2 and after belonged with Mr. Horn and anything Prior to ww2 belonged to Mr. Evans. I hope this helps. thumbsup.gif

Airborne-Hunter
If the name tag with the last name HORN came with the Mini's group then that could be a lead. There were a few marines with Horn as a last name that are listed as SS receipents on Homeofheroes.com. one in particluar (James M.) was awarded in Vietnam. I would suspect this marine was a VN awardee based on the two seperate sets of mini's (it looks like the bottom set is from his post korea days and the top to bars are with his VN awards.) Just speculation though. Good luck! and nice groupings thumbsup.gif

I believe you are correct. The bottom mini medal bar has no medals that go past korea, while the top two have vietnam medals and no repeats meaning they were meant to be worn at the same time. Taking from this we can then assume that he was awarded a silver star during vietnam. Also notice that the vietnam medal bars have a Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, and Air Medal that the Korea Bar doesn't. Mr. Horn was probably wounded twice before vietnam because the korea medal bar's purple heart has a hole where an OLC would go and the Vietnam medal bar has an OLC.

I assumed that all the Pre-ww2 items belonged to Mr. Evans whom probably retired long before ww2.

Evans got that GCM at the end of his enlistment in Oct 1920 and he was discharged then.

Well I dug through the records and it looks like he changed his mind a few months later and went back in the Corps on Feb. 9, 1921 as a Private, but as you can see here, within a month he was promoted to Sergeant and began a long career of changing his stripes quite often:

evanspromoted.jpg

But, by Nov. 1921 he was back to Corporal and the muster rolls for Dec. carry this:

evansbusted.jpg

In Jan 21 he was busted back to PFC:

evansbustedtwo.jpg

In Jan 1923, he made Cpl. again, and by Oct. 23 was a Sgt. again and became a Recruiter. He re-enlisted on Feb 9 1925.

In Jan 1926 he was busted again to Cpl.

evansbusted1926.jpg

And in Feb 26 to PFC:

evansbusted1926feb.jpg

Are you detecting a trend here?

In April 1926 he made Cpl. again: in June 26 he got busted again for drunk on duty and was made PFC in July, promoted back to Cpl. soon after that and made it to the end of 1926 without getting busted again. In summer 1927 he was sent to Tientsin, China and got busted twice, down to Private.

He must have been a pretty good Marine when he was sober because he got this report in Feb, 1928 and on March 13, 1928 got permission to re-enlist:

evansbusted1928discharge.jpg

He eventually made Sgt again and seemed to stay out of trouble for quite a while, perhaps because he was in the USS San Pedro Marine detachment and it was harder to get drunk at sea, but in Dec, 1931 it was back down to Cpl, following yet another summary court martial. In January 1932 he was transferred to the reserves and was carried on the Reserve muster rolls as a Corporal through Dec. 1940, which is the last month for which the rolls are available. By then he was about 46 years old.

I've seem to notice that in the pre-WWII days, if you could go a career WITHOUT getting busted down, you were one squared away SOB

Mr. Evans' items are the WW1 Victory, GCM, and bronze EGA. While the remainder of the items, I believe, belong to a Mr. "Horn." The Horn name came from the red name tag pictured above, in the ww2-vietnam picture. All of the items came from same box of which was made up entirely of USMC related items. There was no indication, to me, to believe there was any other service members in this box, so it was then possible for me to put groups back together.

I assumed that all the Pre-ww2 items belonged to Mr. Evans whom probably retired long before ww2. Knowing this I then put together Mr. Horn's items which had to be anything and everything left over. Taking from my medal knowledge, I was able to determine that the mini-medals were ww2 through vietnam, so anything in that time period could belong to this man. And since there was nothing post vietnam or belonging to anyone else, I was certain that anything ww2 and after belonged with Mr. Horn and anything Prior to ww2 belonged to Mr. Evans. I hope this helps. thumbsup.gif

Edward J. Horn SN: 400002 earned a Silver Star in WWII.

Eugene Horn SN: 247250 Earned a Silver Star in Korea .

Could be one of these two. Neither earned a LOM in WWII or Korea, but then again the LOM may be for Vietman.

Kurt

teufelhunde.ret
I've seem to notice that in the pre-WWII days, if you could go a career WITHOUT getting busted down, you were one squared away SOB

His problems were all to common place... that was era of prohibition 1920-33 and the temperance movement.

• 2 weeks later...