Some SPH-4 help!

Vpep

Hello everyone, 

I hope this post finds everyone happy and healthy. I picked this flight helmet up yesterday at the first gun show I’ve been to in over a year.  It’s missing the visor and it’s housing but it was so inexpensive I couldn’t pass on it.  I’ve been looking for an example that would fill a space in my desert storm collection.  My question is, were they used like this without the visor or should I go ahead and restore the visor?  I look forward to hearing from everyone on this.

thanks,

Vic

FEE1D139-58CF-4B55-9659-989CE44FD94A.jpeg

5E228175-8E4D-4D2F-BD61-250477B754AD.jpeg

769637B7-F0C3-407E-A06A-439647785694.jpeg

66A18CB7-C4F0-4777-9949-D2E0577C4349.jpeg

As it's a 1971 model, it shouldn't have been in service during Desert Storm but it was last inspected in 1987. That being said, Army aviation was using ANVIS-6s at the time which would require a front visor for mounting so I doubt many were ever worn without a visor. Maybe by ground crew, but probably not flight crews. Actually, I don't think this would pass inspection at the ALSE shop without a visor and housing. 

Here's the thread I did on my SPH-4 I wore from 1991-94. 

Matt, 

this is great information, thanks. I guess I’m going to try to track down a visor to bring it up to snuff.

thanks, 

Vic

Vic,

Send me a PM and I'll check to see what I have. I have plenty of visors, covers not sure. Have hardware for the cover. Visor knob also.

72psb (Bob) is a great resource!

I have the maintenance manual for this helmet if you need a diagram of the assembly and hardware for the visor assembly. 

Nice example, Vic, even if uncomplete.

What I can tell you is that it's fitted with the 1978 nylon earcup harness with the late chinstrap assembly, so this 71 shell (likely issued with the leather-tabbed harness) was retrofitted at some point of its lifetime.

That being said, it could very well have been used with the AN/PVS-5 NVGs, for I seem to see the remains of a removed snap stud just under the nylon visor track.

Actually, the tape pattern I can notice on your shell strongly reminds me of an example I've found during former searches, featuring the same equipment as yours (nylon harness, late chinstrap assy, sage green boom M-87 assembly, black ear seals), this one being clearly fitted for the AN/PVS-5 initial Full Face Mask - with side snap studs and dual velcro squares (like explained on this diagram I've made for an SPH-3 analogy).

Given the resemblance, I would take it as a reference for restoring your visor assembly if I were you !

Vark, thanks for the photos. The Velcro patches were going to be my next question. These are some nice photos

I meant to add this earlier. I got a little laugh out of it. It was taped to the back of the helmet, and the tape was so dry, it fell off.

CB0E66BF-C180-49F0-A216-91EB48250635.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vpep said:

I meant to add this earlier. I got a little laugh out of it. It was taped to the back of the helmet, and the tape was so dry, it fell off.

CB0E66BF-C180-49F0-A216-91EB48250635.jpeg

They used to put those labels on helmets I think when they were surplussed/DRMO'd.   I think too many people were buying surplus helmets from the Govt and then trying to use them as motorcycle lids so they wanted to cover their asses after the fact.  They are clearly not DOT approved.

The helmet would not have been worn without the housing and visor.  At some point it might have had the original ANVIS visor on it seeing it was trucking on so long in service and its missing.  Is there any strips of velcro on the rear of the shell?  Doesn't seem to have any evidence of the Type 1 or 2 NVG setups using the PVS-5 full face or modified face piece with the lack of snap studs or adel clamps on the sides of the shell.    It in fact is a 1971 contract shell and apparently trucked on with some safety mods over the years which would have been a thicker Styrofoam impact liner and a new ear cup retention assembly.  The ALSE shop probably found no flaws with the shell  over time and kept it up to date til the late 80s.  

Matt, thanks for posting the photos of the visor assembly, it will help a lot. Also, It has no evidence of ever having any Velcro on that back, so I would assume it was never set up for NVGs. 

With the ANVIS-6s, we had Velcro on the back for the battery box and counterweight so it sounds like your helmet was a daytime-only flyer. Glad to help, hopefully Bob can help you source those parts and hardware. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is the helmet with the new visor installed. I can’t thank Bob ( 72psb) for helping me with all of the parts and MattS for this pictures of the manual so I was able to assemble it. I could not be happier with this helmet in my collection. 

F9B63F0B-0E6A-497A-867F-4630D0301B40.jpeg

FC682CE5-B470-4AA1-BBB4-7B4468646AC0.jpeg