Anyone able to identify this projectile?

T Ambrosini

T Ambrosini

This was dug up in a yard near Sacramento.  No logical reason to find it there, so I suppose it was something that someone brought home long ago and it got lost in the soil.  These are the only photos I have of it.  I'm told it is fairly hefty.

Thanks,

Tom

IMG-2093.JPG

IMG-2094.JPG

IMG-2095.JPG

IMG-2096.JPG

I feel sorry for whoever first dug that up and experienced the sudden realization. 

Unfired judging by the band, and had red(?) paint on it. Eyeballing it possibly a 3 inch naval shell? Clean and check the driving band for any markings.

This one looks a lot like yours:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=271020

Also, who loses a shell that size in a yard?

T Ambrosini

I think you have hit it right on....  So to speak.  It does seem likely to be a 3 inch projectile (inert, I hope).  I agree, there appears to be traces of red paint on it as well.  Might have looked like one of these, once upon a time....

Thanks for the help (and the useful hammer test suggestion).......  Tom

7736.jpg

19 minutes ago, T Ambrosini said:

I think you have hit it right on....  So to speak.  It does seem likely to be a 3 inch projectile (inert, I hope).  I agree, there appears to be traces of red paint on it as well.  Might have looked like one of these, once upon a time....

Thanks for the help (and the useful hammer test suggestion).......  Tom

7736.jpg

To be clear, the "hammer test" method, as you call it, is only meant for cartoon rabbits.

In all seriousness, I would treat any found ordnance as live, until proven otherwise.

Civil war cannonballs, and other ground-dug bits, are still capable of killing people.

T Ambrosini
21 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

To be clear, the "hammer test" method, as you call it, is only meant for cartoon rabbits.

In all seriousness, I would treat any found ordnance as live, until proven otherwise.

Tongue-in-cheek cartoon humor wasn't lost on me, thanks.  I believe it is going to be disposed of properly.  Tom

T Ambrosini

Thanks, yes it is close in appearance, aside from the tapered base.  Is yours a naval 3 inch projectile?  Looks like it had been fired by the appearance of the rotating band.

Tom

Missing is the base diameter measurement for positive ID. Most likely a very early Navy 3” (76mm) AP or APC ( Armour Piercing Capped), but maybe 75mm. 75mm had the single brass driving, the WW2 Navy 3” (76mm) had a 3 groove driving band. It is a solid bolt, NOT EXPLOSIVE. The nose appears to be “ capped”, a hollow windshield presssed onto the solid bolt? Is it solid?  If any remnants of a red body color indicates it is a Navy 3” APC Blind Loaded projectile ( red in color in the Navy indicates inert loaded) not explosive in any way. Wire brush the rust then examine the driving band ( or area just above the copper driving band) for any markings, an anchor symbol signifies Navy. It is NOT explosive as the base is open and the base fuze is missing.

T Ambrosini

That is very helpful, thanks.  It's not in my possession but I've sent a link of this discussion to the guy who has it.  He can take it from there and I'll post whatever he comes up with

• 3 weeks later...
frijoles108

Looks like a US navy 4 inch 50 cal projectile, more photographs of the base would be nice. Essentially it is a upscaled 3 inch 50 cal, the casing is a giant upsized 3 inch 50 casing also.