140th NYSV At Chancellorsville

cylekostello

So this is a nice little gold badge for the 140th New York in the shape of the Maltese cross of the 5th Corps of the Army of the Potomac. What makes this badge really interesting however is it’s recipient. On the back it is engraved to a Martin W. Haight of Rochester NY.

Martin Haight enlisted at age 22 in Rochester, New York. He was lightly engaged with his regiment at Fredericksburg. However the regiment’s first real combat occurred on May 1 1863, the first day at Chancellorsville. The 140th was in Sykes Brigade (his famous regulars) and was hotly engaged on May 1. Fighting against McLaws brigade of the AoNV along the Orange Turnpike. The 140th suffered 21 killed wounded and missing at Chancellorsville. The 140th would later distinguish itself at Gettysburg and The Wilderness, fighting all the way to Appomattox.

It was at Chancellorsville that Private Haight was badly wounded. Taking a minie ball through the leg as his regiment counterattacked. Haight was later discharged four months later this severe wound. The May 16 issue of the Rochester Democratic American describes Haight’s wounding

“On Tuesday morning, while getting into line, a minie ball struck Martin W. Haight, company A, badly, shattering his leg below the knee. Though the wound is a severe one, yet the Surgeon thinks the limb will be saved”

It seems Haight was rather active in veterans affairs as he served as Post Commander for GAR Post 84 (Myron Adams) in Rochester New York. After the war Haight married and had two daughters, dying in 1907 after a life full of service.

Hope y’all enjoy this little badge! I’m displaying it in a riker case with a probable fake thin letter SNY buckle, thought the two items went well together.

wqzl1ss.jpg

30JaCqb.jpg

eBK9pNe.jpg

6HNVaJW.jpg

cylekostello
2 minutes ago, katieony said:

A beautiful medal with a great history.  Thank you for sharing his story!

Mike

Thanks Mike! Reading about his wounding made me cringe a bit, minie ball through the leg sounds like a doozy 

USCapturephotos

Nice veterans badge. Thanks for posting it. Like you I cringed reading about his wounds. My ancestors first major battle was also at Chancellorsville with the 12th NJ Vols.

Paul

Great item. I've never seen one connected to the 140th. As I've mentioned previously I have an ancestor who died on Little Round Top with the 140th. I've never been able to determine the wound(s) he suffered. Perhaps I'll see if I can find anything in the the Rochester Democrat American you mentioned.

cylekostello
1 hour ago, USCapturephotos said:

Nice veterans badge. Thanks for posting it. Like you I cringed reading about his wounds. My ancestors first major battle was also at Chancellorsville with the 12th NJ Vols.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Chancellorsville would be a hell of a baptism. 

21 minutes ago, sundance said:

Great item. I've never seen one connected to the 140th. As I've mentioned previously I have an ancestor who died on Little Round Top with the 140th. I've never been able to determine the wound(s) he suffered. Perhaps I'll see if I can find anything in the the Rochester Democrat American you mentioned.

Thank you! Interesting info about your ancestor, good luck with the search!

M24 Chaffee

Very nice addition to your collection! Great to have the name and history to go with it. 

Frank