Diagram showing of patches/insignia on OG-107 Fatigues

Amateur Vietnam Collector

Hi All, 

Thank you for your patience in dealing with this neophyte.  I have searched the internet and this forum for over two hours and can’t come up with a suitable diagram showing what types of insignia/patches go where.  In fact, I don’t even know when to call something a patch or insignia!  Below I have made a diagram.  Please help me fill it in/correct it or recommend a book/website that will help me do so.  

1. Left Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI) showing current formation (e.g. division, command, brigade). This one here represents the Sixth Army.

2. I’m not sure of the name of this area or what patches qualify to be here? I’ve seen parachute wings and a badge resembling a rifle. I’ve even seen large badges, like “Old Ironsides”

3. U.S. Army “tape” even though it is sewn on.

4. Rank insignia for an enlisted soldier only? This one here is for a staff seargent.

5. Known as “tabs”?  I’ve seen “Ranger”, “Airborne” and a few others.

6. What kinds of badges go here?  I believe this one indicates infantry.

7. Right SSI or combat patch, showing a previous unit the soldier served in that saw action.  This one here is for MACV.

8. Name tape (again, sewn, not actually taped)

9. Rank insignia for an officer only? This one here is for a 1st lieutenant.

10. I’ve seen patches here, above the name tape.  The one that comes to mind is a chaplain patch.

11. I’ve seen patches here on the right pocket, but I can’t remember what types.

94EA07E6-E141-44E1-A17C-97FE0886AEDF.png

In fact, I don’t even know when to call something a patch or insignia!

All terms really are interchangeable in the collecting study area, Patch, Insignia! and Badge, so we'll know what you are talking about, its just certain items that you need to nuance so we'll know. The Army does have its official terminology for these items, such as Distinguished Unit Insignia for unit crests, Parachute Badge for jump wings, Shoulder Sleeve Insignia for patches etc etc

1. Left Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI) showing current formation (e.g. division, command, brigade). This one here represents the Sixth Army.

Correct

2. I’m not sure of the name of this area or what patches qualify to be here? I’ve seen parachute wings and a badge resembling a rifle. I’ve even seen large badges, like “Old Ironsides”

This is simply called "Above Left Pocket", or "Above U.S. ARMY Tape", What goes here are cloth or in the 50s early 60s. metal, United States Army Skill and Qualification Badges, sometimes if there is a lot of badges one will go on the Pocket Flap. The Old Ironsides is an Armor Triangle Tab, it will not be worn here, but under the 1st Armored Division's shoulder patch, You may see an Armor Triangle here Above the U.S. ARMY Tape however (I will link a topic on these).

phpeNf4Y9PM.jpg.a19b826252dd7f634396399feae4cfec.jpg

3. U.S. Army “tape” even though it is sewn on.

Correct, it is called a "Tape" because it is flat and long like a Tape. some newbies call them Tags, that's incorrect, Tags are the had Black Plastic "Tags" worn on the Class A uniforms, the "Name Tag".

5. Known as “tabs”?  I’ve seen “Ranger”, “Airborne” and a few others.

Correct.

6. What kinds of badges go here?  I believe this one indicates infantry.

On this this is the Officers Branch of Service, Infantry, Finance Corps, Engineers, Quartermaster Corps etc etc, the other side will be his Rank. Only worn by Officers and Warrant Officers in this manner.

7. Right SSI or combat patch, showing a previous unit the soldier served in that saw action.  This one here is for MACV.

Correct.

8. Name tape (again, sewn, not actually taped,

Correct.

9. Rank insignia for an officer only? This one here is for a 1st lieutenant.

Correct,

10. I’ve seen patches here, above the name tape.  The one that comes to mind is a chaplain patch.

Above this side of the right  Pocket Above the /NAME Tape, will go any Foreign Badges, South Vietnamese, West German, Taiwan etc etc, for United States Army, these are normally Foreign Parachute badges, a Chaplain will not wear his insignia here.

11. I’ve seen patches here on the right pocket, but I can’t remember what types.

Patches seen here will be either what are called Unit Pocket Patches, these being cloth copies of the unit, usually the Regiment and or Battalion's Unit Crest, these normally worn on the left pocket, also seen are various RECONDO Arrowheads, and the Jungle School patch, Jungle School patch is a well known one, these badges mentioned here are indicative of a graduate of the course.

Time broaden your horizons with what I believe are massive topics in your new area of interest you haven't seen yet.

Here, the one on the Armor Triangles worn on shirts and jackets, coveralls from pre WWII to the 70s, lots of fatigue shirts 50s-70s to study with their various cloth insignias.

And a Three Volume as it were topic on the 60s and 70s Fatigue Shirt, these I know will be of great assistance to you.

Wow!  You are a wealth of information, patches. That cleared up A LOT for me.  I will definitely read the topics you suggest.