Museum AT4, Stinger?

Some info for the detectives:

The FIM-92 “Stinger” is a short-range man-portable air defense system (MANPADS).[vii] The stinger was designed to provide air defense capabilities to U.S. and allied troops when forward deployed and thus eliminate the immediate need for air support should an enemy aircraft threaten the troops. The FIM-92 Stinger served as a replacement to the FIM-43 Redeye. The stinger entered service in 1978 after nearly 10 years of development and delays. Since then, there have been multiple upgrades and modifications made to the stinger.

FIM-92A: Original stinger system, which replaced the redeye. Originally considered the “redeye II,” the 92A involved an upgraded infrared system than its predecessor. The upgraded infrared homing guidance system was designed to discriminate countermeasures more effectively than the redeye’s system. Since the creation of the FIM-92 there have been multiple upgrades to include the FIM-92B in 1983, the FIM-92C in 1987, the FIM-92D in, the FIM-92E in 1992, the FIM-92F in 2001, and the latest model, the FIM-92G.[viii]

The stinger has also been modified to be used in  ground-based air defense systems such as the M1097 “Avenger” and  adapted to airborne-based platforms such as the AH-64 “Apache” helicopter.[ix]

Kaptainssurplus

Yeah it is 100% a stinger tube, this would be the G or H variant, since its pre 2005. The M136 AT-4 is a inert live fire variant, which is uncommon. Also the laws regarding manpads ownership is an unknown/grey area. There was a new law saying manpads are illegal  but it doesn't clarify if they mean the loaded complete weapon system (which would be common sense obviously) or would it apply to the empty tubes as well. Best bet is to demill it to bazooka, mortar and other DD/NFA items standard they require. 

28 minutes ago, Kaptainssurplus said:

Yeah it is 100% a stinger tube, this would be the G or H variant, since its pre 2005. The M136 AT-4 is a inert live fire variant, which is uncommon. Also the laws regarding manpads ownership is an unknown/grey area. There was a new law saying manpads are illegal  but it doesn't clarify if they mean the loaded complete weapon system (which would be common sense obviously) or would it apply to the empty tubes as well. Best bet is to demill it to bazooka, mortar and other DD/NFA items standard they require. 

Thanks for the info. The surplus store museum owner needed ID confirmation. He has a LAW tube also on display. As for ownership, I wouldn’t think a Manpads expended tube would be any different than the LAW tubes that are commonly found for sale. As for any drilled holes, I don’t know as I saw them on a cart and didn’t have time to pick them up and “play” with them.He does some business with movie studios and has a whole floor of props he rents out, he makes a killing in WW2 items and oddball stuff like this.

Kaptainssurplus

That should be September 5th 2005. 

As for the law regarding manpads, I have heard stories of them being confiscated even if empty/fired. Since there isnt any law that states M72s or AT4s specifically, like this law does with manpads they aren't under the same scrutiny I'm guessing. But since I just saw a few empty/fired Soviet manpad tubes just imported recently it may be case by case basis?

Id probably be concerned if it has the gripstock and BCU but looks like its just the tube.   Not something you see everyday.  There was one old shop I used to go to that had a older Redeye on their wall.

21 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Id probably be concerned if it has the gripstock and BCU but looks like its just the tube.   Not something you see everyday.  There was one old shop I used to go to that had a older Redeye on their wall.

Thanks, agreed. The museum is looking for someone who can cast in plastic the missing parts. The hard part of course is finding an original battery/grip assembly to complete it.Know of any leads?

Kaptainssurplus

The only gripstocks I have seen are in museums. I know for sure they are highly regulated/illegal to have and even the ones in the muesums were dummy versions. If there are any in private hands it would be very rare and I'm sure those who do probably wouldn't speak up to let any borrow it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 3:43 PM, mohawkALSE said:

Redeyes still appear on gunbroker every now and then (one sold a few months ago) so hopefully used manpad tubes aren't too much of a concern.

On 4/10/2021 at 4:07 PM, 917601 said:

Thanks, agreed. The museum is looking for someone who can cast in plastic the missing parts. The hard part of course is finding an original battery/grip assembly to complete it.Know of any leads?

About 3 years ago I met a guy at a gun show who had a gripstock (it was stamped dummy in white letters on it). I think he was 8 or 10k. I can check if he still has it if they're interested.