My Father's Flag

Judith Warren-Wright

Judith Warren-Wright

My father passed away October of 1966. His burial flag has been incased in a triangle  display case since then.

My question is how do I  safely remove it and have it cleaned?

Hi Judith - Welcome to the forum, it is great to have you here.

If you don't mind indulging me, my first question would respectfully be:  Is there a reason you think you need to remove / clean it?

Sometimes, there is a very good justification for doing so (smoke, mildew / mold, etc).

There are much smarter flag folks on here than me, so I'll defer to them on how to have it cleaned.

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to hear about your father's service.

Judith Warren-Wright

Many years of cigarette smoke. I would like to pass it on to my brother. He was named after my dad.

Judith Warren-Wright

My dad served on the USS Everett F Larson-D830  1945-1946 Plank Owner  Sent to Occupied Japan in search of planted explosive devises. 

Judith Warren-Wright

He was a father of 14 Children when he passed away at Wayne County VA Hospital. Left behind a photo album of his time out to sea.

Do you really get a sense that it needs to be cleaned. I have my dad's flag in one of those frames and it seems to be pretty well sealed up. .... and as an aside - WOW 14 kids. 

Judith Warren-Wright

I can see dust accumulated inside. That's why I wanted to have it cleaned.    Yes on the 14 children.. Never a dull moment in our family. Lots of laughter and love to go around for visitors as well.   We all grew up under the influences of the VFW as well.  

dhcoleterracina

I would think a dry-cleaner would be safest. In 1966, we used the 50 star flag so it could be cotton or possibly nylon. If the stains don't come out then I would get creative and refold it (so the blue field/stars show thru) on an area that isn't stained. 

As an aside, this isn't a old 48 star ship flag that he brought home? 

dhcoleterracina

Judith, I would guess it is a 50 star flag but I'm not positive. Do you think that the flag itself might be clean and that the cigarette stain might just be on the outside? If so, you might just need a new case or a way to clean the old case. Either way it's great that you are using the flag to remember your father, his Navy service was clearly a significant part of his life. 

Judith Warren-Wright

I opened the case and cleaned it. His flag is really dusty.

Judith Warren-Wright

Cleaned up the case with Old English, Dusted the flag with a soft brush and cleaned glass with vinegar.

Dad Flag1.jpg

Dad Flag2.jpg

Dad Flag3.jpg