WW1 DSC mystery help please

R.S.

You are correct I was bidding on it but I knew it might be removed ( like Nazi stuff ) so I noted the sellers details . The ring is smaller the numbering indistinct and the stamping pressure has squashed the side , the area on the arm where numbers are stamped looks thinner than originals I looked at . None of the paperwork goes together , A troop ship to China . A zeebrugge postcard which was a British affair . It does not add up . The kill used to create the messed up ribbons is quite amazing . Rob

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

Here are a couple images of what your medal should look like, to include the number. You can see that the numbering is very clean on these medals, whereas the one you have is not only above what they should be numbered, but considerably overstamped in both size and depth. 

There's no doubt that your medal is old and probably has been in improper storage for a long time. I'd even go as far as saying that someone may have actually used it as a replacement medal. But the story is unsolvable with the information that we've been able to put together. 😞

Screenshot_6.jpg

Screenshot_7.jpg

Screenshot_8.jpg

There is another medal group listed as "Indian War Medals with History" on the Bay. Medals have similar corrosion. Is this the same seller?

Thank you Dave great medals even the metal looks different. Here the weight for future reference. Yes lol same seller and same type of wear and tear . Rob

IMG_0427.jpg

manayunkman

The seller is high1fly and they specialize in finding crusty old medals in water logged books.

They have sold several similar groups in the past.

I lived near the Susquehanna River flood zone in PA for many years and never found so many flood damaged groups as this character.

I must compliment them on this new idea.

I am not trying to "rub salt" here, but more of a good reminder to all of us:  If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

It may have not been too good financially, as I think the OP mentioned a lot of "dosh" (aka cash); but, too good from the standpoint of working the 'side door' angle that  ended up back-firing.

[Note: in contemporary online auction parlance, a 'back door' is when a buyer convinces a seller to end an auction early for their offer.  So, it seems to follow that a 'side door' might apply to a buyer spotting an auction canceled as a forbidden item, and makes a deal outside the system]

Thank you for posting this.

Salvage Sailor
4 hours ago, R.S. said:

The new ebay group!

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 10.36.28 AM.png

Throwing in some Hawaiian postcards again?  I recognized them both right away without seeing the backs, Kamehameha Day Parade, 1916.

manayunkman

Their past auctions clue you right in.

Little dioramas of how the items were found.

Its funny really to go over their work, sort of an American Picker type of flavor with still pictures.

They should get grandma to pose with the stuff.

I like the medal that smeared red when chemically treated, you can see how they smooshed it around when it was still wet.

Like the medal is going to move around in there while squeezed into a book.

Do the medals have any smell?

An artist for sure but now the cat is out of the bag.

66A43812-1E6A-4D91-BA50-AAA08A056CC7.jpeg

EC1C8BCF-FFAC-417E-962C-6E0EB3F67EAD.jpeg

D82A7F56-3015-45E6-86A4-7860A4FF09EF.jpeg

E368A98D-8A80-4A1A-8487-B3215C3D354F.jpeg

C9043FE9-E3BA-4247-BE3D-5CAB51199D86.jpeg

A83C7DB2-3398-43B0-B9CF-4EFDE5FA160D.jpeg

2F2C4C8D-7D59-4DBC-A15C-5E010BBF7530.jpeg

D703C2C2-EB28-47D2-B33D-D3399514EE45.jpeg

946B2FB7-82E3-4B23-9F0E-AE47C79EA1C3.jpeg

D695B1DC-3679-4F50-AC20-AC1CF2A97596.jpeg

0E4F2112-4073-43EE-A606-82F590830F8A.jpeg

5E1E7706-DD32-42CD-A7B8-405CBC541760.jpeg

9A8E64BC-B63A-40FC-89C8-8FA59ACB1CF1.jpeg

A055EF18-6607-4F65-AEDB-79AAB221B633.jpeg

4636D6D0-E4E8-4DC3-A226-07E9CC96B502.jpeg

dhcoleterracina

I'm sorry that Robb got ripped off but thank him for the discussion that will hopefully warn members in the future. I can't believe this guy is already posting another split brooch DSC, greedy. 

If matters are as others have surmised, does that mean that original medals are being destroyed - while it’s not a first-issue, I really worry about stuff like that IW example.  

I have to say the aging looks very professional and convincing. But the number of groups and rare medals being offered in this way is definitely an obvious red flag.

manayunkman

I don’t think the Indian war medal is correct.

Its way too thin to be period. 

He might be greedy but he’s not bright selling these vignettes one after the other.

But on the other hand many folks don’t check a sellers past auctions and assume their feedback tells it all.

It's just too bad that other items and authentic medals like the Navy GCM are getting ruined through the seller's fake aging method.

When something gets wet and left to sit for a while in an enclosed humid environment, that "green corrosion" does not take long to appear.  

Kurt

The Indian Wars medal and the USMC Philippine campaign are both awful fakes. The numbering is so bad it is laughable.

Kurt

aerialbridge

Wow.  Some rock is missing its ground floor tenant.   To up his frauds he should diversify from Servpro water-main leaks ("Like it always happened.") to "attic fires".  Throw cheap restrikes in a fire while he's roasting his marshmallows and before he pulls out his anvil and hammer to pound the fake numbers in.