Unusual theater-made 83rd Chemical Motar Bn patch

mortaydc60

This rare item just ended on Ebay. Sold for $180, but probably should have sold for more but for some condition issues and a detail I think was missed by most unless they read very carefully. Patch was from a friend who we sadly lost last year and well known dealer and collector Bill Wise. What I believe most thought they saw was the typical US made version of the 83rd CMB. As the description said it was theater -made but again most do not know the difference between the typical and theater versions and besides this one was damaged which detracts from focusing ones interest. Again the description says "A" Co added, which I actually missed at first. Had I noticed I would have made more serious effort to get the patch. This is the first and only time I have seen this type of addition. Believe most of theater made were made in France or England. Nice find by the winner and hope forum members get some info from this for future purchases.

Mort

s-l1600-55.jpg

s-l1600-56.jpg

Thank you Mort for bringing this up to educate us. I had noticed the company added to the patch but had not realized it was special and theater made.  I have also noticed several items from his collection that have not reached the prices I expected them to. I wonder if some of the rarer patches and engineer tabs that have sold lately are so uncommon that people are unwilling to pay as much for an item they have never seen before despite the pedigree.