Shirt, Flying Heavy Type A-1

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

Here is an interesting shirt I’ve had for a while. As you can see, it is labeled, “Shirt, Flying Heavy Type A-1”. In the Sweeting book, Combat Flying Clothing, it is briefly addressed on page 66, really not much info. Apparently not worn/issued much. It is slightly heavier than an army blanket and is unlined. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome!

BKW

Again! The dang picture posts upside down, It wasn't saved that way! Sorry! No idea why. 

P4080339.JPG

P4080314.JPG

P4080316.JPG

Brian Keith

Thanks jerry_k for fixing the photo's. Yes, P-59A, Sweeting does say it is WW II issue.

Thanks for your comments!
BKW

Despite what Sweating wrote I have always believed these to be used in the transitional era with an AF number again rather than AN. I haven't seen one with the standard USAAF nomenclature on the label. I also have not seen one in period photos. 

Much higher order numbers existed earlier in the war and the spec number puts it before even the parkas and B-15. Maybe someone knows how the numbering of orders and specs ran - chronologically or otherwise.

Maybe they were wartime but there sure were a lot of them on the surplus market and in the 90s it was commonly said they were post war.

Would be a great jacket but I'd hate to wear it.

Dave

phantomfixer

would be a nice fall hunting jacket..  the USAAF and later USAF uniforms/flight gear of late war and post war are a flurry of designs and changes, trying to adapt to the jet age... 

I would agree with late war contract and transitional limited use...post war and pressurized cabins saw little need for heavy flight gear

here is one with a US Air Forces stamp vs a Army Air Force, suggesting post 1947

and the D-1 cap, later the D1 would go from brown wool to USAF blue 

Capture.JPG

Image_20141221_IMG_1459_600w.jpg

The D-1 actually came to mind as well. It seamed to have the same unexplained history and use. As did the A-1 visor thought I've seen at least a version of those in wartime images, just not the -47- one. I might have a 45 dated one of those.

hellcat_vintage

Hi, I’m new to the forum (will do a proper intro post) and came across this post as I collect early US Air Force flight clothing. As others have said I believe these shirts date from just after the war, when the Air Force adopted the B-15B, N-2 & N-3 as cold weather clothing. As with everything from that period there is the A-1 shirt in olive that you have, then an A-1A in blue and finally the A-1B in a sage green colour. There is also a matching pair of E-1 trousers (again with later E-1A & E-1B versions). I’ve just acquired a pair of E-1 trousers, so am actually on the hunt now for an A-1 shirt (already have an A-1A, E-1A & E-1B). 

D5E16FE3-C94D-420A-A65D-1BF1B661E736.jpeg

13 hours ago, hellcat_vintage said:

Hi, I’m new to the forum (will do a proper intro post) and came across this post as I collect early US Air Force flight clothing. As others have said I believe these shirts date from just after the war, when the Air Force adopted the B-15B, N-2 & N-3 as cold weather clothing. As with everything from that period there is the A-1 shirt in olive that you have, then an A-1A in blue and finally the A-1B in a sage green colour. There is also a matching pair of E-1 trousers (again with later E-1A & E-1B versions). I’ve just acquired a pair of E-1 trousers, so am actually on the hunt now for an A-1 shirt (already have an A-1A, E-1A & E-1B). 

D5E16FE3-C94D-420A-A65D-1BF1B661E736.jpeg

Hello Hellcat! Cherrs, Jerry

• 1 year later...
phantomfixer

from 2007 with more info to muddy the waters, kind of like In Search Of....more questions than answers...Dustin had/has(?) a theory that it might have been a Escape and Evasion garment...plausible based on the style...and would explain the civilian style cut and the D-1 cap that had the same civilian style to it...but the one thing that most can agree on, it never really caught on or became obsolete overnight with the end of the war ... then why the next model, the A-1A with the big star on the chest....

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I think I was able to find a photo of a pilot wearing this A-1 shirt.

It is posted on the home page below.

I've looked for a photo like this several times in the past, but I couldn't find it.
But today, I discovered this completely by accident!!

This photo may be famous, but I'm posting it because there may be members who are in the same situation as me.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth1056487/m1/1/

2 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

> I wonder if it was ever made in dark blue... and, can think of a few times on 60s cargo hops in a Provider when I'd have been very grateful for it.

C-123-2.jpg.41c3f770954277bcea5a898ff73cc379.jpg

Thank you for your correction.

It looked brown on my computer.
However, when viewed with another device, it appeared dark blue.
Sorry, it seems I was mistaken.

By the way, is the shirt posted on the homepage below also AF blue?

The photo is near the bottom center with the words "(The 4th Fighter Wing in the Korean War - Larry Davis)" written on it.

The third LT from the left is wearing the shirt.

http://yocumusa.com/sweetrose/images/1950-53fr336/1951rocketeers.htm

"Sorry, it seems I was mistaken."

> Not at all necessary, everything we wore on a flight line was army green except for flight suits, but I was just wondering if that shirt ever appeared in AF blue. At various times after 1948 Air Force supply put out, for example, AF blue blankets, duffel bags and the like.

7 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

"Sorry, it seems I was mistaken."

> Not at all necessary, everything we wore on a flight line was army green except for flight suits, but I was just wondering if that shirt ever appeared in AF blue. At various times after 1948 Air Force supply put out, for example, AF blue blankets, duffel bags and the like.

The shirts were made in blue and sage green. Also trousers and the caps. I have had them over the years.

Blue shirt with A-1A designation (photos from on line)

Image_0808_053_600_540x534.jpg

Image_0808_054_600_540x410.jpg