Vietnam photo i found on the interwebs

daswrack

also story if any of you know whats really going on in this photo as i am confused as oll harkin

Steve Brannan

Looks like the female with a Rifle slung around her neck is a captured VC. She is being interrogated by South Vietnamese soldier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was called something along the lines of "north vietnamese woman with russian rifle interrogation"

2 minutes ago, daswrack said:

it was called something along the lines of "north vietnamese woman with russian rifle interrogation"

So then what is your question? 

You asked for a story, and the photo is captioned with exactly what is going on - which Steve reiterated.  

I think the only people that would know anything more are in the photo.

title is a pretty general summary with little context, and i am bad at contextualization

Some ARVN’s were smiling most of the time, just the way they were. Guess this one is happy they caught a VC, doubt she was NVA.

Steve Brannan

Her look is worth a thousand words. I saw that look of fear many times. Their leaders told them that if captured they would be raped by the evil Americans. Our outfit always took care of prisoners. 

There is a lot of context missing here.

When, where, what unit?  Was the woman released or taken as a prisoner?  Was she being abused by her captors?

We can only surmise these things.

The ARVN uniforms look to be early 1960's.  Also, the individual with his back to the photo is carrying an M1 Carbine.  The soldier in front of him and barely visible may have a variation of an M1 Carbine with a flash suppressor.  On the opposite side of the photo someone is carrying an M1 Garand.  

Both the woman and the Russian rifle are covered with matching mud.  That suggests she was low crawling or otherwise down in the dirt when she was captured carrying this weapon.

It looks like the weapon has been hung around her neck for purposes of the photo or intimidation.  No one carries a weapon that way. 

Her garb suggests local Viet Cong, or if you prefer NLF.

The woman behind her has a rope tied around her wrist.

And, as mentioned, the look of fear, as well as downcast eyes.  This day probably did not end well for either of these women.

• 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 4/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, gwb123 said:

There is a lot of context missing here.

When, where, what unit?  Was the woman released or taken as a prisoner?  Was she being abused by her captors?

Here's a little context:

PH-825009994.jpg.e6a85b901b8d313de8defa308273c4d2.jpg

A Russian-made rifle, carried by this woman when she was captured in nearby brush, is slung around her neck by South Vietnamese soldiers before they began their interrogation of her as Viet Cong suspect near Ap La Ghi in Vietnam, August 25, 1965. The girl behind the woman, also was captured in the brush. (AP Photo)

Although the photographer is uncredited, the location of near Ap La Ghi, the date of August 25th 1965, and that it is an Associated Press photo likely links it with these two photos taken by AP photographer Huỳnh Thành Mỹ.

vietnam-war-viet-cong-suspect-shutterstock-editorial-7385405a.jpg.7045fc89ea55315b3286007fa5bb335f.jpg

A Viet Cong suspect is interrogated at knifepoint by South Vietnamese soldiers in Ap La Ghi, Mekong Delta, Vietnam, during the Vietnam War on August 25, 1965. The soldiers questioned the woman, who was thrown to the ground with her hands tied, about local communist guerrilla strength. (AP Photo/Huynh Thanh My)

PH-826009999.jpg.1227069bd587d6e53ffccfd2dd74da65.jpg

A Vietnamese soldier drags a woman by her hair through a canal in Ap La Ghi, Mekong Delta, Aug. 26, 1965 during the Vietnam War. The woman, suspected of being a Viet Cong collaborator, had her hands tied and was submerged repeatedly as soldiers interrogated her for information about the identity and location of local guerrilla forces. She was later imprisoned. (AP Photo/Huynh Thanh My)

tra_cu-6228-2.png.68e489ed2037fc4d4708e6a08aca5cc8.png

Here is La Ghi hamlet, Trà Cú district, Trà Vinh province. MGRS: XR480610. Map from the University of Texas at Austin Libraries. 

2000.jpg.f1bf40aa8b95f4c80cf32d3965f8d072.jpg

Huỳnh Thành Mỹ in September 1965, AP photo. 

As for the photographer Huỳnh Thành Mỹ, he was killed 45 days later on October 10th 1965. After his death his younger brother, Huỳnh Công Út, who he had taught photography to, took Mỹ's camera to the AP office and replaced him. He is better know as "Nick" Ut, and is best known for his photo of 9 year old Phan Thị Kim Phúc running naked, severely burned by a South Vietnamese napalm on the town of Trang Bang on June 8th 1972.

yes, thank you for the fuller story, personal stories of the war are especially interesting to learn about