How rare are WW2 squadron patches with family last names? Does anyone have any to share?

mortaydc60

Have read references of famous fighter and bomb units with famous names for the commanders etc, but have any seen the names ,actually on the patch insignia? Would enjoy seeing what the forum members have to share. I will post two that are very special to me later on after i see what others have to offer. Thanks

Mort

Here's one unit to get this thread started . . .

468th Bomb Group | "The General Billy Mitchell Bomb Group" | 20th AAF CBI

Silkscreened on leather.

spacer.png

Many years ago I was fortunate to acquire the only genuine theater-made patch I have seen to date:

Theater-made. Multi-piece cloth and hand embroidery.

spacer.png

More info at my post, here.

Thanks for the incredible example and sharing. I would like to clarify or extend my request and search for example Breithaupts raiders,or Jones,Smith, Henderson,Kaufman,or Chatt's boys,etc. Will show two I have found that are personally relevant for my family but first have to make the pics. Thanks

Incredibily lucky to find these two patches with both myfathers and mothers  last names. The detail on the Cohens Bastards is just off the charts. The patch depicts the 50 cal gun turret on a B24 if I am not mistaken. Note it shows the 50cal shells in alternating colors for the different type of ammunition. Check out the symbols in the red,white and blue shield especially the deck of cards with the Ace of Spades on top. Still need to figure out the specific unit and any help much appreciated. Consider these as some of the most priced from my colllection. Thanks for looking.

Mort

IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_6741 2.JPG

IMG_6740 2.JPG

Old Crow 1986

I learn something new every day on the USMF.

I have never heard of patches like this.  I couldn't figure out what you were driving at when I read your OP. 

Now that I see the patches I am not only better informed, I am also quite envious.

They are amazing!  Thanks for sharing. 

The 456th Bomb Group (Heavy) operated B-24 Liberator aircraft and was known unofficially as "Steed's Flying Colts", after its commander Col. Thomas W. Steed.

More on the 456th BG here.

spacer.png