WW2 KIA Marine Corps PH and Air medal Grouping

nbolinger

Picked this Grouping up last night to Staff Sergeant Gordon Miller MIA April 8th 1943 , the group was found in the back of a Closed Army Navy Surplus Store in three different boxes. The air medal is also named to him but hard to see. 

IMG_20210406_124102716.jpg

IMG_20210406_124113390.jpg

IMG_20210406_124124069.jpg

IMG_20210406_124127950.jpg

IMG_20210406_124129556_HDR.jpg

Brian Keith

Great save! I have a friend that is from Ripley County, IN, he likely knew some of this Marine's family. 

BKW

Kurt Barickman

That is a great group from early in the war, great job saving it from being totally destroyed from the elements,.

Kurt

Aaaaaand, WOW.  That is a really nice save - thank you for sharing it.

That Navy and Marine Corps Medal is outstanding.

Very impressive grouping, I agree nice save with this one. It’s nice to know pieces are still coming out of the woodwork like this. Thanks for sharing. 

R.I.P SSGT Miller. Semper Fi and thank you for paying the ultimate price for our freedoms. Another humbling save and his memory is now kept alive. Great due dilligence on your part Nole in looking for the other medals.

Also, if the green stuff stuck to the back is foam gone bad, you can use Naptha (lighter fluid) to remove the sticky mess without affecting the patina, though the green most likely has prevented patina from forming underneath, so expect some splotchy spots to appear when you are removing it. I usually use a paper towel folded up into a square so the Naptha doesn't evaporate quickly, and it also allows you to refold the same paper towel retaining some of the unevaporated fluid at the same time. Once cleaned, just some liquid soap to remove any excess naptha.

If it's carbuncles of some sort, an abrasive paste like toothpaste (baking soda) on an old toothbrush is what I use to lightly go over until it is removed. It will certainly make it brighter, but at least it will be free of carbuncles and over time will again patina.

Wharfmaster

Great group. Any chance you can post it in Medals so it can be saved ? I  believe stuff posted in this section goes away after a period of time.

W

1 hour ago, Wharfmaster said:

Great group. Any chance you can post it in Medals so it can be saved ? I  believe stuff posted in this section goes away after a period of time.

W

Wharf - great suggestion. I made it happen. 

ItemCo16527

Wow, one of the first two recipients of the Navy & Marine Corps Medal! Great find, and even greater save. Nice work!