Looking for my first WWII M1 Helmet

ponchsox

Where is a good place to look for my first M1 WWII helmet? I’m looking for a Plane Jane in good condition and original liner. I’m educating myself on what is original and post-war to avoid landlines on EBay. Any other reputable sites like Circa1941? Sellers forums? Thanks for any input.

Ebay is actually a great resource to pick up nice WWII M1s on the cheap. Also a great variety. You just have to put in some study and time reading some reference books and threads here on this forum. Then ebay can be a Gold Mine ... not a Land Mine.  Also there are great helmets for sale here on this forum often. Check out the “For Sale” page on the main page if you scroll down. “FS HELMETS AND ACCESSORIES”
Z

eBay can be a great place to find a really nice helmet for a good price, if you know what you're looking for. I would strongly suggest getting a reference book and studying it prior to purchasing a helmet, especially if you think this is something you'll get into long term. The more knowledge you have the better decisions you can make. I would suggest Pieter Oostermans book that is currently on eBay for $79.99 (a pretty decent price). There's also a post on these forums, listing all good reference books:

If you just looking to get something quick and want to go through a dealer, you'll pay a premium, but like 644td suggested M1 Helmet Depot is a good one. Other reputable dealers are BB Militaria, Circa1941, Griffin Militaria, and Bay State Militaria among others that are out there.

- Alec

There is also a "for sale" section of the forum. I echo what others have said, do your research, ask questions. 

I don't know if this will help, but it's a chart I made to help date helmet liners. 

B2F77392-86A7-42AF-9C6C-FDFB1D48960C.jpeg

1 hour ago, MattS said:

There is also a "for sale" section of the forum. I echo what others have said, do your research, ask questions. 

I don't know if this will help, but it's a chart I made to help date helmet liners. 

B2F77392-86A7-42AF-9C6C-FDFB1D48960C.jpeg

honestly this is a real nice quick n dirty reference for these

If you are new it is advisable to share what you see with a trusted, fellow and preferably experienced collector to get a second opinion, sometimes sellers will "enhance" original helmets with fake markings or embellish it in some way (e.g. repaint or restore it) to make it more desirable. 

Also buy the books as others have said to get an eye for what original helmets have to look like. It's better to read, study and wait than it is to buy in a hurry and be upset over a purchase later on. 

The guys gave you awesome tips and tricks, knowledge is everything, you are off to a great start. Good luck.