WW2 USN SCHLUETER M-1 HELMET "258"

Paddyd00

Hi Guys

I got this one last year.  Its a swivel but I liked the condition and the paint of this one along w the OD3 straps.  I think previous owner got this one at an OVMS show in the 90s.  Also he possibly lightly cleaned it before I received it.  It was a bit dirtier in the photos I purchased from.  I didn't make a fuss as it wasn't a great cost.  I have another one of these Schlueter Dark Navy Blues.  I like them.  Lot number hard to see ...only the "S" is visible. Liner came with the pot...Its a Westinghouse. Strap snapped but previous owner or Sailor tied it in a know of the side.

Thanks for looking! Oh ...also the number's meaning as we all probably know are possibly lost to time... I would only be speculating if I were to comment on what they may be (Gun Position, ship number, etc).

Z

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

i think i'd already commented on my rationale on the numbers, but i agree either gun position, or hull number. i always love the look of those dark blue sets, such a nice look

22 minutes ago, shadawg said:

i think i'd already commented on my rationale on the numbers, but i agree either gun position, or hull number. i always love the look of those dark blue sets, such a nice look

Hi D! Well it’s the best explanation I’ve had so far. I always think of your M240 Gunner Helmet that you used in active service. The 242 Helmet. Could be a designation that had its roots here in WWII or around that time and continued to present day. Though unsure what a “25” caliber gun would be. Hmm. Maybe this 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-inch/25-caliber_gun

I like these dark blues too. I have heard “Seabee” blue or for use on smaller vessels 🤷‍♂️ . This Could just be collector “stuff” passed down through time though that we don’t know where they originated. 

Thanks for looking and nice to “see” you

Z

I agree, nice helmet.  I really like the navy lids.  Too bad it’s so difficult to decipher the numerals we so often see on them.  But they’re still historic and they display well.  Thanks for posting yours.

Bill

5 hours ago, Bill47 said:

I agree, nice helmet.  I really like the navy lids.  Too bad it’s so difficult to decipher the numerals we so often see on them.  But they’re still historic and they display well.  Thanks for posting yours.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I would love to assign this helmet to an LST from Normandy as this seller has done haha (in a near exact example to mine ...pic Attached) and who knows ...maybe it was.  There was an LSM 258 (pictured ... was zooming in looking for Helms ha) in the Pacific but after collecting these for a bit, researching them and talking to Vets and active service members (like Shadawg) these numbers are pretty hard to pin down without provenance :(

Actually only 1 Fixed Loop Navy M-1 I have was I able to nail down the story behind it and that was only because the Sailor named and serial numbered his pot and liner. GIs did this all the time ....but not so much Sailors I find.  That being said ... I agree with you these do display well and I like it a lot! Thanks again

Zach

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.49.44 AM.png

Great looking helmet. Can't comment on the numbers but I would say these had a situational significance, i.e. rapid identification or signaling, as such I can't see why sailors would run around with the ship's number on their helmets, unless we're talking a fleet vessel or guys that had to make the ship's ID known in other circumstances, e.g. loading of cargo and what not. In other words your guess is as good as mine! But lovely helmet in any case!

Best regards