Large metal figurine find @ flea market

Tonomachi

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this rather large figure I picked up yesterday at a local flea market. Without the wooden base the figure measures 14 inches high and is real heavy as it is made of some type of dense metal that is silverish in color. There are no manufacturing markings of any kind. I'm no expert on Naval uniforms but is looks like the formal uniforms Naval Officers wore in the late 1800s. The sword is missing and there is no evidence of it ever having an engrave plate on the wooden base. Does anyone know who this represents or the age of this piece.

post-1389-1233419958.jpg

From the cuff insignia and epaulettes, I suspect it represents a British naval officer. To determine the rank, you need to decypher the cuff insignia.

G

From the cuff insignia and epaulettes, I suspect it represents a British naval officer. To determine the rank, you need to decypher the cuff insignia.

G

Thanks for the information as I thought this was a US Naval Officer. Per the rules of this forum I guess we are not allowed to talk about this piece since it is British. Thanks any way and now I know.

Thanks for the information as I thought this was a US Naval Officer. Per the rules of this forum I guess we are not allowed to talk about this piece since it is British. Thanks any way and now I know.

Not quite true: when there are questions of origin it's okay to establish for sure where it's from - or not from - by showing details of why it is say, British, instead of US.

In this case you can see loops on the cuff braid of the British uniform, along with a row of buttons on a solid field over the braid, whereas the US Navy just has the stripes:

cuffs1.jpg

cuffsus.jpg