1/35 Scale Air Attack in North Africa

Old Marine

This is the .50 caliber MG from the old Tamiya Gun and Mortar set.  The gun and gunner are built straight out of the box.  Even though this is a 40 year old kit, it still builds in to a nice vignette.  The other figures are bashed together from the parts box.  

Anyway, it was a fun little build, here are some photos.

Dennis

6FBCBE65-3DBA-452A-9F05-E5276E72A9D9.jpeg

C52C8A7E-ACA8-4F4E-95B5-FF02AD1D9E1D.jpeg

C06C8723-4B39-402D-9649-8AA58C880BCE.jpeg

0A61AAC4-477F-4178-92A1-CE2F6FA53D85.jpeg

E9ED4D94-4E2A-40D9-B326-037E8C299D19.jpeg

F38088CA-9101-4C2C-827A-A9634DC349FD.jpeg

716B2C6D-E489-4833-B508-F334C7ECEFFB.jpeg

29449F0B-CE70-4301-93E3-96F6D7658AB0.jpeg

67D0B092-5AD6-4857-98A1-CC61853CD43D.jpeg

Dennis another excellent build and depiction of WW2... had me for a minute woth e first picture as I thought it was a real black and white photo.

So much detail and a story told with out words.

Proud Kraut

Another wonderfull vignette. Dennis, well done! Could you please tell how you did the sandbags. They look "self-made". Great work!!!

This is great. The desert photo in the background sure looks a lot like my home state of Arizona. About fifteen years ago, I bought a joy stick from a Me 109. Purchased from the nephew of the man who shot it down in North Africa with a ground mounted .50  cal and then went to the wreckage to retrieve the control stick. Can’t help but think this was what it probably looked like. Thanks for sharing. Kevin

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/295140-135-scale-tarawa-diorama/page/2/

Thanks for the comments.  Lars the sandbags are made of Air Dry modeling clay and tissue paper.  If you look at the Tarawa diorama and scroll down to #46 I show how I make the bags.  It time consuming, but it’s a lot cheaper and I think, the bags are a bit more natural looking.  

I too thought  the b/w picture was period and you made your build from it, until I looked a little bit more at it.

Nice job!

Ken

Dennis,

I was wondering what you have been up to! 😁. Looks fantastic! I agree with the others. I thought the first picture was a real one!

...Kat

I'm in complete agreement with everyone regarding that 1st B&W pick. What made it seem like a period pic to me was that Tunis 60km destination stone. I was trying to figure out where SFAX is? Another fine vignette Dennis. You have perfected your sandbags technique, they really look great and as always the action is spot on.

Semper Fi

Manny

3 minutes ago, ArtyScout said:

OK I just checked the map of Tunisia and found Sfax on the map. LOL.

Semper Fi

Manny

Wouldn't surprise me if some GI would have sent that rock home.... 😆

• 2 weeks later...
postmanusnac

That is a fine scene you built there. I was never good at painting figures. Usually just left them in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great diorama.  I liked the B&W photos and the photo of the display in natural light.  The other color photos with realistic background are too bright and too yellow.

I have been trying to finish a similar diorama I started 15 years ago.  It is also a sandbag bunker for a 105mm Howitzer.  I used sandbags from a Kit.  I tried to rough them up and re-shape them so they wouldn't look so uniform.  I may cover some with some tarp.  I like you Italian camo tent half you added.  

• 1 year later...

Hey Dennis, I know you posted this about a year and a half ago. But I wanted to ask you what you used for the expended .50cal shells?

Semper Fi.

Manny

10 minutes ago, ArtyScout said:

Hey Dennis, I know you posted this about a year and a half ago. But I wanted to ask you what you used for the expended .50cal shells?

Semper Fi.

Manny

A few years ago I bought a handful of 1/35 .50 cal casings from an ebay vendor in Poland. Sold some CRAZY machines brass stuff. .30 cal barrels with separate shrouds, 76mm ammo, was killer stuff. 

On 12/14/2022 at 10:40 PM, Garandomatic said:

A few years ago I bought a handful of 1/35 .50 cal casings from an ebay vendor in Poland. Sold some CRAZY machines brass stuff. .30 cal barrels with separate shrouds, 76mm ammo, was killer stuff. 

Hey G, I recently saw something like that on ebay too and thought that Old Marine, might have gotten the same ones. But for my diorama, I'll definitely need .30cal shells. Thanks for the info.

Semper Fi.

Manny