M1938 Tank Helmet Hand Painted Markings

sprprops

manayunkman

Four dots in Morse code is the letter H.

Thats all I got.

The helmet is awesome.

It was quite common for WWII tankers to personalize their helmets in some way or another. Not many made it back to the States as the tanker helmets were part of the vehicle's equipment allotment and had to be turned in when the vehicle was turned in. This particular helmet has the two tension bars removed from the sides, not unknown but more less often encountered. It could be a surplus helmet used post-war as a football helmet, these were usually 'stripped down' and often show evidence of a team emblem or player roster number.

24 minutes ago, LarryM3 said:

It was quite common for WWII tankers to personalize their helmets in some way or another. Not many made it back to the States as the tanker helmets were part of the vehicle's equipment allotment and had to be turned in when the vehicle was turned in. This particular helmet has the two tension bars removed from the sides, not unknown but more less often encountered. It could be a surplus helmet used post-war as a football helmet, these were usually 'stripped down' and often show evidence of a team emblem or player roster number.

I have encountered the converted football helmets and they never seem to survive with the top strap and reciever flaps. They also have all the snaps removed (usually ground off) for safety. Being as this one is still OD and has only they typical tension bars removed like period photos I would say it is not a repurposed football helmet. But the paint job being postwar is a possibility, I have seen many 1938s repurposed for helicopter pilots and early jet aircraft.

15 hours ago, sprprops said:

I have encountered the converted football helmets and they never seem to survive with the top strap and reciever flaps. They also have all the snaps removed (usually ground off) for safety. Being as this one is still OD and has only they typical tension bars removed like period photos I would say it is not a repurposed football helmet. But the paint job being postwar is a possibility, I have seen many 1938s repurposed for helicopter pilots and early jet aircraft.

I am inclined to agree with you that this is not a repurposed football helmet. Nice personalized tanker helmet, good score! Do you have other tanker helmets?

Larry