Need Help Understanding Navy Ratings for Spanish-American War

usmedalman

I am attempting to put the navy ratings on Sampson medals into some sort of perspective base on their Petty Officer rank equivalent. I understand that US Navy adopted new ratings in 1894, but I cannot locate an official diagram showing the new changes that would be similar to the one published in US Navy Regulation Circular 41 of 1885. I did find the attached diagram produced on a uniform forum and was wondering if any experts could comment on the accuracy of the chart.

Thanks in advance for your insights and assistance.

Screenshot_2021-04-04 Early US Navy Enlisted Rating Badges, 1885-1894.jpg

I made that chart; it is based on primary-source documentation and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

There were a few changes by the Spanish-American period:

1. June 1897: New rating of gun captain (chief, 1st and 2nd class), specialty mark a foul anchor.

2. April 1898: New rating of electrician (chief, 1st and 2nd class), specialty mark a world globe.

3. June 1898: Hospital steward (chief) replaced apothecary, and new rating of Hospital Apprentice 1st class (3rd class PO with one stripe) added, specialty mark a red cross.

Justin, thanks for the reply, and thanks for the chart. This gives me the opportunity to ask, I see many medals with the rating of Fireman 1c and 2c, but don't see this rating on your chart. Was this eliminated as part of the changes in mid-1898? I also read on the NHHC web site that there were two classes of Hospital Apprentice, the 2c replacing the rate of Bayman.

13 minutes ago, usmedalman said:

Justin, thanks for the reply, and thanks for the chart. This gives me the opportunity to ask, I see many medals with the rating of Fireman 1c and 2c, but don't see this rating on your chart. Was this eliminated as part of the changes in mid-1898? I also read on the NHHC web site that there were two classes of Hospital Apprentice, the 2c replacing the rate of Bayman.

I think I just answered my questions.  Bayman was a seaman rate, as were Firemen 1c and 2c (I had assumed 1c and 2c were equating to PO ranks). So that explains why they were not part of the chart.

Yeah, that chart comes from a page that was showing the evolution of rating badges, so petty officers only.

Here are two pay charts from the period in question. 1898:

navy_ratings_1898.png.d27e9591a0f09d3c9f63552efc6e8f8e.png

14 hours ago, Justin B. said:

And 1899. Most Navy Registers had pay tables at the back, which listed all enlisted rates until 1924 when they just went with pay grade.

navy_ratings_1899.png.263bb1fa12c3ae9948f9ceffb5620c7c.png

Thanks for taking all the time to educate me. As an old Infantryman, the Navy rating/rank system seems like rocket science.

7 hours ago, usmedalman said:

Thanks for taking all the time to educate me. As an old Infantryman, the Navy rating/rank system seems like rocket science.

No problem, it can be obscure! And I missed one change:

Sept 1896: Title of "writer" 1st, 2nd and 3rd class changed to "yeoman."

• 6 months later...

Hey Guys,

Is there any place I would be able to purchase reproductions of these Rate Strips? I am doing some reenacting and can get uniforms, but not sure where to get the Rate Strips. Sure would appreciate any help.