Insignia on USN seaman's trunk - Interwar Minesweeper

Dmitry the Great

I'm guessing the eagle over a tri-colored circle with a black middle circle inside of it is insignia-related. The hardware on the brackets is stamped with a company name NORWALK LOCK CO., which was in business in Norwalk, Connecticut from the 1850s to 1929.

Thank you!

display_1164_UNIQUE_AMERICAN_SAILORS_DECORATED_SEA_CHEST_634181044270858750.jpeg

display_1164_UNIQUE_AMERICAN_SAILORS_DECORATED_SEA_CHEST_634181044263202500.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

MINEMAN - Looks to be 1920's vintage to me

This roundel was a standard symbol emblazoned on the bows of many USN minesweepers in the pre-WWII years.

Dmitry the Great

Excellent. Thank you very much!

How do I go about finding out more about the mineman whose name is on the trunk?

Salvage Sailor

I took a quick pass through Ancestry and Fold3 but did not get a good hit on him.  Records for Interwar service men are much more difficult to find, especially those who served in the Navy.  The best bet is to do a NARA research request on him when they're open.

US Navy Minesweeper Personnel qualification badge. Plate 256t. (1926-1948)

Minesweeper Qualification 001.jpg

Dmitry the Great

Salvage Sailor, thank you very much! What indicates the "interwar" designation on the piece, vs. WWI or WWII period? I will do the records search, although there is only the first name initial, and not the whole name. I wonder if they will humor that.

Salvage Sailor

"Interwar" is a term used to delineate the period in US Military History from the close of WWI to the dawn of US involvement in WWII (i.e. the 'recess' between WWI and WWI part two)

The years from 1920 to 1940

This trunk would fall into this period as the Mine Warfare symbol was not used until 1926 as an authorized USN insignia and was first seen in the early 1920's after the Great War.

Thus, it's an interwar piece.

There ya go.....

Salvage Sailor
8 hours ago, Dmitry the Great said:

Salvage Sailor, thank you very much! What indicates the "interwar" designation on the piece, vs. WWI or WWII period? I will do the records search, although there is only the first name initial, and not the whole name. I wonder if they will humor that.

Is that name on the trunk F. B. ROSE or F. BROSE  (I searched for both names in the databases)

Wharfmaster

This MAY be LCDR Francis B. Rose, 1902-1984. An officer could afford to have a fine chest like this made. 

See Find A Grave, his plaque does not indicate service in WW1 or WW2.

Best of luck,

W