Wow... USS Johnston found

irish

It appears the wreckage of the famous USS Johnston from the Battle of Leyte Gulfhas been found... the wreck or 2/3 of it is sitting upright in 21,000 of water. It was confirmed recently by a submersible. Amazing

Radio Operator

I remember reading a year or two ago that Paul Allen's Petrel most likely found the ship during one of their expeditions, but couldn't verify due to the depth. There's been a lot of naval wreck discovered these past few years which has been amazing to read about. 

8 hours ago, Radio Operator said:

I remember reading a year or two ago that Paul Allen's Petrel most likely found the ship during one of their expeditions, but couldn't verify due to the depth. There's been a lot of naval wreck discovered these past few years which has been amazing to read about. 

Petrel did find this wreck and I'm pretty sure they keep their information about these sites close to vest and this guy who went 'researching' it again shouldn't have gone there IMHO.  Last year he announced he was going to do 'research' on the Indianapolis and other warships too but was stopped by the Navy Heritage Command IIRC.... I am NOT opposed to the finding of the wrecks so long as they don't become rich man tourist destinations and are plundered for artifacts like the Titanic was or raised for their steel like many of the shallower wrecks have been.

People must remember these are GRAVES and IMHO should be left alone. The 'it belongs in a museum' should not override the sanctity of these sites.  What has happened to the Titanic grave/wreck and shallower war ship wrecks is criminal.

This is incredible!

Also too, if you’ve never read “Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailor”, put it on the top of your list. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, pacreamer said:

This is incredible!

Also too, if you’ve never read “Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailor”, put it on the top of your list. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, had read it several years back.. good book.

• 4 weeks later...

If you go to Caladan Oceanic's website, they have some video and stills of the wreck. Much better than previously seen. The battle damage is evident and her guns and torpedo tubes are aimed off to the side. Very poignant.  

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
VA-75 Puncher
On 4/4/2021 at 6:23 AM, P-59A said:

Not to be too picky, but its known as the Battle off Samar. My Grandpaw was there on the USS Kalinin Bay.

.....so was my good friend ABM2 Frank Czerwony.....he's now 98 and calls me every Veterans Day to wish me a Happy Vets Day...🙂

Frank on KB.png