M3 Trench Knife - authentic or imposter?

DBURDBUSH45

DBURDBUSH45

Trying to “collect” all 3 marked versions of Utica M3 trench knives and am currently negotiating a price on this Utica blade marked M3. I already have a Utica guard marked knife that is legit, and typically will reference “Bill Walters Volume 1 of US and Allied Military Knives M3’s & M4’s” however I would greatly appreciate the thoughts, knowledge and “fresh set of eyes” of any members that may be experts in this area of edged weapons as to how this “appears” and its authenticity! Trying to decipher if at some point this knife had black paint applied or what? Thanks to all for any assistance!

A7DDCBC2-3A3D-46AE-BE2F-3AC8AF093544.png

1A0F350B-EA6D-4333-94A1-A968799ED67F.png

2A013E4A-D5A3-4235-8C6A-7D760BF7E4F6.png

9859D79F-6B4A-460D-82C6-1B049EB8B9F9.png

DBURDBUSH45- You have a legit Utica blade stamped M3.  After WW2 a lot of M3s placed in storage got a coat of black paint on the guards and pommels as a rust preventative. I have several myself. SKIP

Its a "repack" . Dont know If thats the official military term or one given by collectors . As previously mentioned the guard and pommel received a black coating and were often mated up with later sheaths . Its a nice knife . 

DBURDBUSH45

Yea, well, unfortunately I lost out on the “bidding war” for it..somebody snagged it for $560..without a scabbard!

I'm not too sure.  I've seen a couple of things in open auctions that closed at what I thought were reasonable amounts.  I suppose it's the old story that if people aren't focused in on an item then there's less chance of a bidding war flaring up.

I'm seeing some interesting items on ebay right now, that could be  a good deal. But, for my fellow collectors I will not say anything that could increase any bidding they've done.  SKIP

DBURDBUSH45

I’ve been “watching” a number of knives that have come up on “fleabay” and honestly find myself conflicted. I’d like to think that i am semi knowledgeable and know what to look for on these knives, however i will defer to more seasoned experts like yourselves. I don’t want to cross any lines of etiquette here, but i’d like to ask if you gentlemen would be so kind to “evaluate” anything else i may find and post here for your take on it?!