Jump to content

UH-1H instrument panel + "Jesus Nut"


Recommended Posts

viking73

Hello Group,

 

My name is Derek and I have a problem - I bought another instrument panel today.  This is from a UH-1H Huey!  Also included was a Huey "Jesus nut" which I think is really cool!

 

Here's some photos:

 

uKj8P9B.jpg

 

ibxc1Du.jpg

 

6sEiBMF.jpg

 

 

 

Now the radio call placard is intact which is great but I'm a little stumped.  Would this be a 1971 contact Huey?  I don't see any 71-7081 s/n though.  All the 1971 machines start with -20XXX. So what would it be?? 

 

 

 

wuCZ0RD.jpg

 

 

 

Thanks for looking!!

 

-Derek

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
viking73

Oh - I forgot the "Jesus Nut" - here are a few photos of it :)

 

-Derek

 

 

NTZrrkW.jpg

 

 

A5qnYNe.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, you got me.  I had to look up what a Jesus nut was.  What did we do before wikipedia? 

 

Mikie

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
viking73

Turns out this is the main panel from UH-1D 66-17081.  Seems it was upgraded to H and then V standards before it was retired.  It also served in Mexico and then with the U.S. State Department.  Need to do some more digging to see if she was a Vietnam vet also...

Link to post
Share on other sites
hink441

Really neat project you have there. I would be surprised if that airframe didn’t see service in Vietnam. 
 

The “0” at the beginning of the call sign is strange. Is that possibly when the USAF was using the “0” prefix to identify older airframes?? Seems unlikely. 

 

Looks like a lot of fun. Keep us updated. 
 

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
viking73
11 hours ago, hink441 said:

Really neat project you have there. I would be surprised if that airframe didn’t see service in Vietnam. 
 

The “0” at the beginning of the call sign is strange. Is that possibly when the USAF was using the “0” prefix to identify older airframes?? Seems unlikely. 

 

Looks like a lot of fun. Keep us updated. 
 

Chris

 

Thanks Chris!  It will be another fun one I'm sure :)

 

The "0" before the s/n is the same as the USAF - it means that the airframe is over 10 years old.

 

-Derek

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
mohawkALSE

I was going to say it seems modified a little bit compared to a standard Army panel so the Mexico and US State Dept stuff explains thats.   Also could tell it had been updated over the years for NVG stuff with the panel going from gray to black.  My father always hates seeing Hueys after his time with the black paint in the cockpit, he loved his gray interior.

 

Are you going to fill this one out?  Huey instruments seem to be pretty pricey these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
viking73
9 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

I was going to say it seems modified a little bit compared to a standard Army panel so the Mexico and US State Dept stuff explains thats.   Also could tell it had been updated over the years for NVG stuff with the panel going from gray to black.  My father always hates seeing Hueys after his time with the black paint in the cockpit, he loved his gray interior.

 

Are you going to fill this one out?  Huey instruments seem to be pretty pricey these days.

 

 

Can you tell what items have been modified from standard US Army configuration?  I'd love to turn in back to stock US Army.  Yes, it has been painted black to go with the NVG use which is sort of a bummer but I was glad to get one with the radio call so I would know what bird it came out of.

 

I am going to try and fill all the holes up.  Haven't priced any instruments yet, I'm hoping to get some from the place I got this panel :)  I'll shoot you an e-mail with me details T.

 

-Derek

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Must have spent time in the Iowa judging by the radio frequencies on the bottom, DSM is Des Moines, ALO is Waterloo, CID is Cedar Rapids, and SUX is Sioux City. 

Here's the panel of the last Huey I flew in;

72556C02-BBB0-469E-B2A7-1DC2A93419DE.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Rooster

I remember from my time on Hueys back in the day, why they called it the Jesus nut...

If it ever broke in the air, everyone in the aircraft was going to meet Jesus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
mohawkALSE
13 hours ago, MattS said:

Must have spent time in the Iowa judging by the radio frequencies on the bottom, DSM is Des Moines, ALO is Waterloo, CID is Cedar Rapids, and SUX is Sioux City. 

Here's the panel of the last Huey I flew in;

72556C02-BBB0-469E-B2A7-1DC2A93419DE.jpeg

Im gonna say that is a recent restoration that gives rides?  They painted the panel back to the Vietnam era gray yet it still has the NVG lights on the glare shield and the goose neck like at the center console.   If that was an original Nam panel it would have the big Go , No-Go decal with arrow at the bottom left on it too in that big blank spot to the right.

 

I'll have to go through the pics I have from my father and some of the other guys he flew with, def have some UH-1 panel pics from 69-70 time frame.

 

Derek got your email, I'll respond back soon, have had alot on my plate last couple days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

Im gonna say that is a recent restoration that gives rides?  They painted the panel back to the Vietnam era gray yet it still has the NVG lights on the glare shield and the goose neck like at the center console.   If that was an original Nam panel it would have the big Go , No-Go decal with arrow at the bottom left on it too in that big blank spot to the right.

 

It was, the group is based in Indiana. I was in Army aviation during the "black panel NVG" era, I know of what you speak. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
mohawkALSE
36 minutes ago, MattS said:

 

It was, the group is based in Indiana. I was in Army aviation during the "black panel NVG" era, I know of what you speak. 

Its funny seeing it gray with the NVG lighting.   Id like to check that place out sometime, take my father for a ride.  Tried to get one a couple years ago from the AAHF Huey that was up in Port Clinton, OH but they only had 1 seat open and he wanted me to go with him.  He didn't need a ride alone on a Huey since he flew them, wanted it to be special with me along too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.