Original Thompson sling?

phil.co1

IIRC the rivets on fakes tend to be the first give away.  Yours look right to me.  Fakes are usually obviously of lesser quality and just different / off looking.

Also the weave of the fabric, and the age in general look right to me.  I'm no expert, but did research these slings a bit.  Others may be able to offer more info and or certainty.  

Yours look to be under natural light.  Mine are under florescent indoor so the color is off.  It should be a little more "mustard" than your usual Khaki, but no where near as much as the pics suggest.  

If you search for pics of fakes online the differences get obvious pretty quickly.  

On 4/3/2021 at 6:05 PM, johnsonlmg41 said:

John K, yours appear to be fakes to me.  Rivets don't look right?

Please educate me.  I thought both were correct.

johnsonlmg41

The rivets on both look questionable.   The one on the right has striations from manufacture.  Both I'm sure have very tight springs. 

Here are two of mine.  The one on the left is for sure the real deal.  The one on the right is dubious, but similar to yours, only better/more consistent rivets and no striations from drawing or stamping.  Mine on the right also has very stiff springs.  I have several Kerrs and they are very consistent (other than the lengths.....for different guns)

Always safe to go with Kerr marked (except the repros which all have split rivet and are obvious) 

Sadly we're now in a period where I see repro stuff from the 60's and 70's that actually is now vintage and looks old enough, but still repro.

Definitely a judgement call.

IMG_8485.JPG