Identifying Owner of Service Jacket

Taj Patel

Dear Militaria Collectors, 

I recently picked up a 6th Service Command  OD Wool Service Jacket in Michigan. The jacket itself I think is from the early war period from 1940-1941 and the third class technical sgt insignia on the left and left which seems to from 1942 or later. On the right there is a 6th service command patch which I think is real. But I was wondering  if anyone could help me identify the owner of this jacket? I found a possible laundry number of C-2116 but I couldn’t find a direct match to anyone.

Thanks,

Taj Patel

0E705700-589A-4EFB-BA00-0730645858D0.jpeg

B8156BE3-4CB7-401A-9A38-5F7FF7EDB7E1.jpeg

946AE97A-9994-4936-BB1E-9BD7134A3A3A.jpeg

DB61BF26-42C3-4B22-9DEC-7CF60320C859.jpeg

C930A7CB-646E-45D2-90FA-C52D9CF7F752.jpeg

14357F36-C694-4394-891C-514023729558.jpeg

D72F1361-DC22-405D-B2BD-E935385807D5.jpeg

8C4ACF67-128B-480E-8EFC-CB8EB69CCA0D.jpeg

huntssurplus

Without initials or a name of some sort it will be practically impossible to identify the original owner of this jacket without extensive archival research. I can say the jacket does look to be all original.

huntssurplus
3 hours ago, Taj Patel said:

Do you think C-2116 could be a laundry number?

Definitely looks like it, but like I said without anymore information it will be incredibly difficult to gain an ID without extensive archival research. 

If the C-2116 is a laundry number, which most likely it is, there were three people that had that laundry number who show to be from Michigan.

1)  Clarence L. Crandell - Most likely not him because he died in a training plane crash in 1943 and the article lists him as "Sgt."

2)  Howard Martin Cole - Born in 1916 in Algonac, MI and died in Pasco, FL in 1988.  A newspaper article from May 23rd, 1943 showed him as a Technician Fifth Grade and stated that he was seriously wounded in action in North Africa.  His WWII Draft Registration showed him to be 5' 8" tall and 175 lbs.  His registration showed him to be working at Chris Craft Boats before entering the service.  I don't know when he was discharged from the service or at what final rank.

3)  Earl Donald Channels - Born in 1926 in Ypsilanti, MI and died in Flint, MI in 1977.  His service dates are July 29, 1944 thru Aug. 27, 1946.  His WWII Draft Registration showed him to be 5' 11" tall and 167 lbs.  At the time of his registration it showed him to be working at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, MI.  Also, NARA showed his civilian occupation to be fireman.  Final rank unknown and couldn't find any newspaper articles on him.

I'm not sure what city in Michigan you obtained the uniform in which might help you determine which one of these men the uniform may've belonged to.  What city did you obtain the uniform from and was it at an estate sale?

Also, since you have the size of the uniform you might be able to tell (or someone else) who the uniform might have fit better on based on these mens sizes/weights.

I'm not familiar at all with the 6th Service Command but isn't that a purely stateside command?  If so, that may help eliminate Howard, that is, unless he was reassigned to a stateside unit after recuperating from wounds.  I'm just guessing at all this and if someone else knows something more or has something to add here, feel free to do so.

26 minutes ago, Taj Patel said:

I got the jacket in Lake Orion,Michigan if that helps 

Thanks.  Did you get it at an estate sale or antique shop or what?

13 hours ago, Taj Patel said:

I got it for free from listing on the FB marketplace.

14 hours ago, Taj Patel said:

I got the jacket in Lake Orion,Michigan if that helps 

Thanks Taj for the information.  Unfortunately that location information city-wise doesn't help a whole lot in determining which one of the two people the uniform might've belonged to.  I say that because Lake Orion, Michigan is about the same distance from Flint, MI, as it is from Ypsilanti, MI as well as Algonac, MI. 

I did find the following posted on our forum in a different post:

"Service Commands served ONLY in the United States."

"Service Commands were a different thing entirely. They occupied the pre-war "Corps Areas" when the Corps went to war. They processed draftees, operated stateside hospitals, provided MPs for POW and internment camps. Probably the only supply function the SC's had was for the initial issue of clothing to draftees."

"The 6th Service Command was responsible for the midwest United States including Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan."

With this information it may be less likely that uniform would've belonged to Howard Martin Cole, as he was wounded seriously overseas in North Africa.  That pretty much leaves

Earl Donald Channels as the best candidate in my mind.  Also, the fact that Earl died in Flint, Michigan means to me that Earl's uniform would've been available in Michigan.  Since Howard died in Pasco, Florida I don't think his uniform would've been available for sale in Michigan.  Just my thoughts and best guesses.  Thanks...Matt

I don't think you can completely write off Howard Martin Cole because of the Service Command patch. I have an Ike that is ID'd to a vet and per his service record, he served in combat in France until February 1945 when he arrived back in the US after being hospitalized for injuries suffered from trench foot. While in the US he served with 5th Service Command in Ohio where he was from until he was honorably discharged at the end of the war. However, although the Ike has the service command patch, he kept the 100th patch as well showing it as his combat unit. I would think Cole would have done the same, but who knows. Is there an outline or "ghost" of a patch on the other sleeve?

I do see a somewhat faint outline (possible stain) but I don’t know if I am just seeing things or if it’s actually there

Can you post a close up photo of the sleeve? A photo of of the inside of the sleeve may help too and be easier to spot the holes from the sewing needle.

While the C-2116 would be a laundry code, it's likely for the first person who was issued the jacket. You can see that it was crossed out with the marker, which was a standard practice for when uniforms were turned in, examined for damage and deemed serviceable, sorted by size, and issued to other soldiers. Sometimes it's just a smudge on the old numbers, because these guys were often processing tons of uniforms at a time. Ike jackets tended to just be issued to one person (but not always), while these four pockets can be a minefield to accurately research when you often see two, three, even more different names or numbers.