WW2 Khaki Crusher cap ?

Squale69

7 hours ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

Ghosting may not appear as clearly on a TW or cotton twill cover as it does on a fur felt. However, verdigris staining from a hat device/badge may tell a story. Just thinking. 

And the laundry number is a valid point. 

What you say is correct. I only used that hat as a demonstration of what I was talking about. The tail feathers will tug on the fabric as well as other pointy parts of the cap eagle. The same is true for the cadet insignia. The cap should show signs of use and should have tugs in the fabric. I have had these type crusher hats before. They were daily use and were used and abused more so than the standard Officers hat. The one thing mine had was the leather strap that went to the back of the head to keep it from blowing off in the prop wash.  I am not calling that out as an issue, but they did come that way from most makers.

Dang Matt! You did some heavy digging! As always well done! I defer to Matt's digging. In all probability what Matt has pointed out as the two most likely owners of this hat has standing with me. I pointed out everything I would normally look for in a hat. The information Matt added tips the scale for me.

1 hour ago, P-59A said:

Dang Matt! You did some heavy digging! As always well done! I defer to Matt's digging. In all probability what Matt has pointed out as the two most likely owners of this hat has standing with me. I pointed out everything I would normally look for in a hat. The information Matt added tips the scale for me.

Thank you David.  Yes, it took me awhile to gather all that info but it was really interesting.  It still strikes me that both officers who had service numbers ending in the same "1267" were in the same POW camp during some of the same time and that they were liberated at nearly the same time.  I wonder if they knew or talked to each other.  I sure wish we knew which one of the two the cap belonged to but that may not ever be known.  I'm kind of curious as to the provenance of this cap.  Like is this the first time it's being offered up at sale?  Where and how did the person offering it come about owning it?  Did the person that has it now get it off Ebay or an at an estate sale, and if estate sale, what city and/or state was it? Just a bunch of other questions that could perhaps add a clue or clues as to which officer this belonged to.  We may never find out the answers to these questions, but you never know.

Matt, I know what you mean. I have the same questions about a P-51 D seat I have. All I know is it came out of a Rochester New York estate sale. You did one heck of a job!!! I still do not know how you do it.  David

Thanks David!  As you know, it's just very frustrating not to have that one more piece of info to be able to come to a definite conclusion about a person or item.  Just got to keep hoping to find that one thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

The cap is at home now 😉 ! ...

...and has found it's place with a HS-33 headset and USAC D1 type sunglasses !

I would like to thank Aznation for all the investigative work he made but now that I have the cap with me I am wondering if the "C" before "1267" is not a "T"... 😬

Information I got from the seller : it was a pilot's cap who flew B-17s in Europe and then late in the war was assigned to the Pacific where he flew the B-29 Super Fortress...

image.png.70a18d23365fc4154cba7f0d9d0d44de.pngimage.png.f2f2d935312f0eb64b4f8f30c8a53550.pngimage.png.957053264b539802fd653bd2baaa62fe.png

USAAF Lewis Crusher Cap_4.jpg

USAAF Lewis Crusher Cap_5.jpg

12 hours ago, Squale69 said:

I would like to thank Aznation for all the investigative work he made but now that I have the cap with me I am wondering if the "C" before "1267" is not a "T"... 😬

Information I got from the seller : it was a pilot's cap who flew B-17s in Europe and then late in the war was assigned to the Pacific where he flew the B-29 Super Fortress...

You're welcome.  Now that you have the cap in hand and have new closer pics of the cap I do believe what was thought to be a "C" is in fact a "T".  That said, I believe we have a new candidate as to whom that cap belonged.  This time, there's just one and only one candidate that it could be, so here goes.  Third time's a charm, LOL.

t1.jpg