Question about uniform

Wally6

Here's a photo of my Great-grandfather the last time he was at home before he went overseas in early 1944(?), and in the the photo I can see he's wearing his Good conduct ribbon, marksmanship badge, and a whistle.

What I'm curious about is the whistle, who would've worn them and why? Was it a symbol of authority/leadership? Or was it more of a decorative item to be worn by anyone? I haven't seen one in many other period photos. Any and all replies welcomed, thanks for looking.

20210330_211603.jpg

4 hours ago, Wally6 said:

He was a technical Sergent 

Then it was probably in his case a leadership embellishment if he was a Tech Sergeant when the photo was taken, if not then probably a military embellishment, we have seen at least one photo where a Pfc on leave wears one, though he might be an MP in this case and wears it as a branch thing. Not absolutely sure on the critira's for wearing them as a duty thing or officially in the first place, apart from MPs it seems most Officers and NCOs don't wear them, The photo of your great grandfather may have been way earlier then 1944 as he's wearing the garrison belt as a first guess, since the belt stopped being worn officially  by mid-sh late 1941, BUT the belt did see scattered wear for the remainder of the war.

See this topic for more on it, the belt that is.

8 hours ago, patches said:

Then it was probably in his case a leadership embellishment if he was a Tech Sergeant when the photo was taken, if not then probably a military embellishment, we have seen at least one photo where a Pfc on leave wears one, though he might be an MP in this case and wears it as a branch thing. Not absolutely sure on the critira's for wearing them as a duty thing or officially in the first place, apart from MPs it seems most Officers and NCOs don't wear them, The photo of your great grandfather may have been way earlier then 1944 as he's wearing the garrison belt as a first guess, since the belt stopped being worn officially  by mid-sh late 1941, BUT the belt did see scattered wear for the remainder of the war.

See this topic for more on it, the belt that is.

Thanks for all the info, but the earliest this photo would've been taken was 1943, but it is definitely interesting that he was wearing it in the photo 

I was going through more photos and found this one, I don't know when exactly this was taken but it was early in his service, what's weird about this one to me is the cloth pinned around his shoulder above his 83rd ID patch. Anyone have a clue what that is?

20210126_113113.jpg

5 hours ago, Wally6 said:

I was going through more photos and found this one, I don't know when exactly this was taken but it was early in his service, what's weird about this one to me is the cloth pinned around his shoulder above his 83rd ID patch. Anyone have a clue what that is?

20210126_113113.jpg

Portait probably taken at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, Camp Atterbury, was the post the 83rd Division was at since its reactivation and its departure for England. Guess on that pinned on shoulder thingy, perhaps a personal award, say for an outstanding job as Permanent Latrine Orderly 577176466_emoticonlaugh.png.58149a76edef9001db54ebd2214c222a.png

I'm joking of course 577176466_emoticonlaugh.png.58149a76edef9001db54ebd2214c222a.png , perhaps a inter unit award, like best platoon, things of that nature.

• 5 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 11:47 AM, patches said:

Portait probably taken at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, Camp Atterbury, was the post the 83rd Division was at since its reactivation and its departure for England. Guess on that pinned on shoulder thingy, perhaps a personal award, say for an outstanding job as Permanent Latrine Orderly 577176466_emoticonlaugh.png.58149a76edef9001db54ebd2214c222a.png

I'm joking of course 577176466_emoticonlaugh.png.58149a76edef9001db54ebd2214c222a.png , perhaps a inter unit award, like best platoon, things of that nature.

.....or it may have been a duty item. An orderly or a runner or maybe a way to signify you were a detail leader. 

3 hours ago, Vanderbilt said:

.....or it may have been a duty item. An orderly or a runner or maybe a way to signify you were a detail leader. 

Yes those are other good ideas.