Hermann Göring Division: 3. Panzer Pionier Kompanie Crusher Cap. It's a Small World

Eric Queen

In the early 1990's a picker/collector friend of my fathers (Leon Jones) was also living in Paradise, CA and actively pursued militaria from vets (Paradise was primarily a retirement community). One day he picked up this killer HG crusher from a vet who served in the 15th Infantry Regiment (3rd Infantry Division). He ultimately sold it to my dad who really liked it and kept it 3 or 4 years until I needed it for a trade with a friend (for a photo album I needed for my book). My friend wrote to WASt about the name in the cap and they actually sent him the German veterans address. He wrote to the veteran, explained that he was interested in history and ended up with the cap. The veteran Join the Fasch. Pz. Pi. Bn. HG in 1943 and fought against the allied invasions at Gela, Sicily and Nettuno, Italy. When the American's entered his home town of Cham his parents had only 30 min to pack and get out. They left the cap and a uniform in a closet. Needless to say they were missing when the parents returned 14 days later. The veteran even sent my friend a photo of himself wearing the exact cap. My friend eventually let the cap go and I lost track of it for years, until last Sunday. By some miracle is showed up for sale on a site which I almost never look it. I, of course, had to have it back. Represents some good memories of my dad. Indeed a small world. 

I am sure dad have the US veterans name written down somewhere but it went up in smoke in the November 2018 fire. In a strange way it was fortunate that we traded it (the cap) or it would have been lost also. 

HG 1.jpg

HG 2.jpg

HG 3.jpg

HG 4.jpg

HG 5.jpg

HG 6.jpg

Kurt Barickman

HG items, very nice! Guess that is why I quit collecting German because you could so rarely match the item up with the veteran but this is a great score! Thanks for showing Eric.

Kurt

Interesting hat in great condition! And even more interesting that your friend got any information from the WASt. I wonder if he used the "relative" trick because they aren't supposed to give out information unless you're related to the soldier. But maybe in the 1990's they were still more willing to give out such information to strangers.

4 hours ago, Reforger said:

Interesting hat in great condition! And even more interesting that your friend got any information from the WASt. I wonder if he used the "relative" trick because they aren't supposed to give out information unless you're related to the soldier. But maybe in the 1990's they were still more willing to give out such information to strangers.

I thought the same thing but it would seem that WASt contacted the veteran and obtained his permission to pass his address along to my friend.

Thanks to all who commented. Glad that some enjoyed seeing the cap and hearing the story of how the US veteran obtained it. You know that they say about "stories" but sometimes they are actually true. 

SP WASt.jpg

Wow! The WASt really did contact the veteran and he gave his permission. I wonder what he thought after he found out an American collector has his hat from WWII and wants to contact him. That is an awesome story in itself! Unfortunately something like that is almost impossible now.

Congrats on being able to get it back under your roof. I always love items with period pictures of it being worn.

Thanks for sharing that great story.

Ken