WWI General Order for Medal of Honor-nominated wounded doughboy

Bob Hudson

A fellow picker came by with this today: it's a FIRST DIVISION GENERAL ORDER'S NO. 1 commendation for Pvt Lewis JC Poppe, Company D, 16h Infantry, and some letters and postcards with some details of his unit's movements. He was cited for being being gassed during the Meuse–Argonne offensive offensive on October 9, 1918.

His Congressman nominated him for the Medal of Honor. But that had nothing to do with gas.

As one of his letters recounts, he singlehandily captured 15 Germans and was unarmed when they surrendered to him. His story was printed in newspapers across the country and in the halls of Congress. I found copies of those newspaper stories online and they help fill in what the letters says.

surrendur.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's what all he said about the capture in his letter (he mentions MAX - Max is one of the captured German soldiers and with Lewis' help Max moved to the US after WWI).

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

One last thing: his Dec, 21 1918 POW letter to his wife also contains some details of his movements in France. It's not overly detailed but it is still a lot more about a WWI GI than we usually see. Here's the entire letter:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

8 minutes ago, dave peifer said:

thats an interesting group,the first like it i've seen.was there anything else?

Just the letters, certificate and post cards. 

Old Crow 1986

A great, first person, war service history. 

The follow on stateside chapters really make for an enjoyable rounding out of Private Poppe's adventures.

Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, manayunkman said:

What a great story!

I am going to have read the other letters to see if they have a tale I've missed. 

His parents were both born in Germany and he was able to converse with the prisoners.  He grew up on a farm and spent his occupation duty with the 304th Field Remount Squadron  which handled Army horses and mules. 

Its nice that you can actually read it. He had great hand writing....yes it is a nice group. My Grand uncle was in Co H. 26th Regt 1st Division