Getting the leather M1 helmet strap to stay in place?

Kitteh

Title says it all. I'm racking my brain on how to get the front leather strap on the M1 helmet liner to stay tight in place? I've had the issue on two of my repro liners. Basically the clip you flip to get it to stay in place never seems to press down enough. Is there some fix I'm missing?

Persian Gulf Command

To be honest if I have an original leather strap on a helmet I don't clamp it down.  I leave the strap around the front rim of the helmet and bring it up snug with the clip you flip open.  I do this so should I ever want to remove the shell from the line it can be done very easily.  IMHO, Doing this can still allow for a good display.

3 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

To be honest if I have an original leather strap on a helmet I don't clamp it down.  I leave the strap around the front rim of the helmet and bring it up snug with the clip you flip open.  I do this so should I ever want to remove the shell from the line it can be done very easily.  IMHO, Doing this can still allow for a good display.

Ah, I should have mentioned that this is on a repro helmet liner, not original. You know how to keep the clip snug? The ones on my liners always provide too little pressure.

Persian Gulf Command

Perhaps you could slip in a thin piece of brown paper (to match the color of the leather) as a shim under the clip.  If its thick enough it may give you just enough pressure and friction to keep the leather from slipping.