Vietnam Era Gerber Mark II?

Nkumburis

Good Afternoon,

I hope your weekend went well. I was doing more hunting this weekend and came across this knife. After a quick Google search, I believe this is a Gerber Mark II knife. Engraved on the blade has a master parachutist badge, Hal Left, and a parachute. The other side says "F*** Communism" so I look forward to your comments. Also if this knife is real, an approximate value would be greatly appreciated. 

Nick

IMG_1110.jpg.098e50a9d07d0027de6419185aafac2e.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg.45e42786a4c26a0f9897bbe17fe16f9a.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg.6d8e0fe69a42a67918e16c73fe5979c8.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg.ca6d226e07279a44857e86df19b56c8d.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg.5390c422cc22cca41b4c312b4caf0978.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg.5265eafa79ec6e4040751887f7cffe4c.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg.cd99f6305c252f1b36ed9c34e6a513af.jpg

I don't believe it is a Vietnam era knife, the serial number doesn't look right.  Somewhere there is a Gerber site that lists serial numbers and dates of production.

thorin6,

Thanks for the heads up, the serial number A5466S is from 1982. Unfortunately it's not a vietnam era knife but could have been used post-vietnam by a Soldier/Green Beret? The engraving seems legit. Has anyone else come across one from this era with engraving?

So I looked up the Gerber Command 1 but it seems a lot smaller than this one. Is it possible it's a gerber command 2?

Hi Nick - I would recommend studying these just a little, if you’re going to try and buy one.  One year in one direction or another makes a BIG difference in price.  

As Bearmon points out, this isn’t even a MKII.  Asymmetry in blade design is a show-stopper - this actually being a Command II.

If you are looking for an all original Vietnam one, you don’t have to look at any in a black sheath.  Not all brown ones are Vietnam, but all Vietnam ones are brown, if that makes sense.  

Here's my Vietnam era Mark II.  Used, a little bit of stitching coming undone, but all correct.  I had one other, made in 1979, that I carried on Desert Storm, and my son carried on OEF and OIF.

Gerber Mark II.jpg

Gerber Mark II SN.jpg

Nice but seeing black grip and blade design is indicator of a later production Gerber with out the serial range chart(s) Also the black scabbards are not of the VN era unless dyed by the owner or painted etc...

Not trying to highjack this thread, but does anyone know if John Sabol might have any planes for all the information he collected on the Gerber MK 2's and their variants?

I sure miss that site.

Aaheritagefarms

Great knife and I believe this model was only produced a few years. I really enjoy knives that are engraved like this one.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:50 AM, Bearmon said:

That is not a Gerber Mark Two  it is a Gerber Command 1.

Yep .. you beat me to it re: not a MK-II.