Grouping of Vice Admiral Edward P. Travers

LYONSJ9

Grouping of Vice Admiral Edward Patrick Travers:

Noted Submarine Commander, Vice Chief of Naval Materiel, Naval Advisor to the Brazilian Navy, and Recipient of the prestigious Brazilian Order of Naval Merit.

Edward P. Travers was born in the small Illinois town of Mounds in 1925. After graduating high school, Travers joined the Navy Reserve V-12 program while attending Berea College, and graduated with a commission as an Ensign in 1945. Travers would see action in the Pacific aboard the Carrier USS Hollandia during the tail end of the Second World War, serving at Guam, the Mariannas Islands, and operation “Magic Carpet” after the conclusion of the war.

After serving in China on the Staff of the Commander of Cruiser Division III, he was sent to Submarine school in New London, Connecticut, and after graduating, served aboard USS Razorback, USS Argonaut, and USS Hawkbill.

After distinguishing himself in both his skills as a Sub Commander and as a Staff Officer, he was selected by Naval leadership to serve as an Advisor to the Brazilian Navy at the US Naval Mission to Brazil in Rio de Janeiro. It would be during this time that Travers and several other US Naval officers would help train and modernize the Brazilian Navy’s submarine fleet into a formidable fighting force modeled after the US Navy. For his great contributions in shaping the Brazilian Navy’s Submarine force into a first rate fighting force, Travers was awarded the Knight grade to the Order of Naval Merit. An exclusive and prestigious award that is limited to only 150 recipients.

After serving in Brazil, Travers would serve as commander of several other Submarines and head the Undersea Tactics Unit. It would be while serving in this capacity that he would revolutionize Submarine Warfare training by condensing the standard eight training volumes into just three, which drastically increased the speed and quality of training, and retention of information Naval Submarine crews would learn during their schooling.

After serving in this capacity, Travers would hold various squadron and divisional submarine commands until he would become the Logistical Chief of Staff to the Commander of US Naval

Forces in Vietnam and Chief of Staff of US Naval Support Activity, where he would help orchestrate the Navy’s ongoing efforts to supply friendly forces and continue operations against North Vietnam. For his service in this capacity, the Republic of South Vietnam awarded him the prestigious Naval Distinguished Service Order. He would also be charged with leading the US Navy’s Budget Office, and as Deputy Manager of the Navy’s Financial Planning Department.

After the US withdrawal from Vietnam in the mid 1970’s, Admiral Travers would serve as commander of Naval Sea Systems Command and as Vice Chief of Naval Materiel Command before retiring in 1983 at the rank of Vice Admiral, ending an illustrious career that spanned 41 years.

Travers would remain an active figure within the Navy and the Veteran Community, dedicating his retirement in service to several charity and fraternal organizations including: the Naval Submarine League, the Retired Officers Association, the United Service Automobile Association, and most notably the Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society, serving as its president and CEO before passing away at the age of 77 in 2002.

His awards include:

The Navy Distinguished Service Medal (awarded at his retirement and not mounted on his medal group), the Legion of Merit (with V and two Gold Star Devices), the Navy Commendation Medal, the China Service Medal, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, the WWII Victory Medal, the WWII Naval Occupation Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Republic of Vietnam Naval Distinguished Service Order, the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, and the Knight grade to the Brazilian Order of Naval Merit.

450a2225448af7507a643a1d55749e94.jpg

882bf6895442e8d1f7f67377ebd569e5.jpg

9a292d051a3b20a678d9788ae764c196.jpg

9febe75f6ecdeb5d7c2a8e674e465448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonderful group with a fascinating story and really well displayed!

Thank you! I love this grouping!

Great group and interesting story.

Did you also have his Navy Distinguished Service Medal?

Regards

Herman 

Great group and interesting story.
Did you also have his Navy Distinguished Service Medal?

Regards
Herman 

Thank you Herman! Unfortunately I’m not sure of where his DSM is. Since it was a retirement award, it wasn’t mounted with this bar and must’ve disappeared when his estate was divvied up.

I love Naval flag officer groups, yours is fantastic, thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you!

Thank you for bringing our attention to this man’s service.

Thank you!