C.A.P. WING GROUP

donaldnol

I got these items in a group from a bid years ago, i always wondered if the wing was in some sort of fire at one time, and just wondering if the pin attachment was replaced?

006.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

pathfinder11

The CAP "droop" or "droopy" wings were designed by Charles B. Colby and in use from 1949 to 1977.

At the Col Louisa S. Morse Center for CAP History, we have the first pair of these particular wings, engraved and presented to the designer by then CAP National Commander Maj Gen Lucas V. Beau.  

11148821_10102712458138968_6790633963731938627_o.jpg

On 3/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, pfrost said:

I always liked that CAP pattern of wing.  I feel that the CAP stuff is always underappreicated.

I LIKE THEM TOO I HAVE QUITE A FEW OF THEM

triplecanopy

I thought that would share the few CAP items in my collection. There was an article a years ago that unfortunately I cannot locate about the CAP Jump Wings. As some of you know I collect Parachute jump wings and these came with a collection that I obtained a while back. The metal jump wings are not marked on the back, but are carefully made and the cloth wings are similar to the extended (USMC) pattern wings. I post these to see if any of you advanced collectors have further information about Civil Air Patrol Parachutists. The Hawaiian CAP patch is something I have had since the 1970's. Also the CPC patch is another mystery. It may be a Parachute Club patch.

IMG_1997.jpeg

IMG_1998.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Just saw this thread and the article in question is in the January-March 1992 ASMIC Trading Post starting on page 52.  It is titled, "WWII Parachutist of the Civil Air Patrol" by Don Storbaugh who is a former member of the USAF Combat Control Teams and has written numerous articles on foreign airborne units for the Chute & Dagger newsletter.    Per this article the CPC patch was originally a Detroit based civilian skydiving club called the Chappel Parachute Club that was formed in 1939.  The patch came about in 1941 and there was a name change to Civilian Parachute Corps.  Some members of this skydiving club joined the CAP where eventually CAP Parachute Squadrons were formed.  However they were short lived from about 1941 through the 1950s when they ceased to exist after the newly formed USAF established an Air & Sea Rescue Service.  These parachutists wore the above cloth parachute wing first awarded on July 18, 1943 and sometimes afterwards some enterprising squadron member decided to have them made in metal which was patterned after the unauthorized USMC parachute wing.  Supposedly only a handful were made so this is a pretty rare wing as I have been looking for years and have never come across one for sale.  I have also never come across the bottom wing where it looks like the circular CAP symbol is glued to the base of a basic US Army paratrooper wing.  It looks like you are only missing the non-jumper patch worn by prospective members who had not gone through their inhouse jump school.  Great collection.  

triplecanopy

"It looks like you are only missing the non-jumper patch worn by prospective members who had not gone through their inhouse jump school".

Thanks Dennis. Do you have any idea what the missing non-jumper patch looks like? BTW the CAP Army jump wings is machined out to accept the round CAP symbol.

i am in cap i have only seen wings once on a senior members uniform in my squadron i checked on vanguard and they did not have so he couldn't have used the one's that were issued to him in rotc because they did not have a blue backround and as far and remeber airborn patches are not regs i don't really care to look rn so if you are intrested here is capr39-1

cap-uniform-standards.pdf

2 hours ago, triplecanopy said:

"It looks like you are only missing the non-jumper patch worn by prospective members who had not gone through their inhouse jump school".

Thanks Dennis. Do you have any idea what the missing non-jumper patch looks like? BTW the CAP Army jump wings is machined out to accept the round CAP symbol.

Sorry but the images on the Trading Post are copyrighted as I got chastised for copying their image onto a forum thread before.   It is basically a larger version of the cloth parachute wing minus the wings and worn on the right upper arm.  This patch was adopted in July 1943 and replaced the CPC patch.

Gents, thank you for the shared CAP patch information posted above. I have a few WWII era CAP pieces in my collection, but I’m by no means a serious collector of that facet of Airborne or Aviation history.

At the 2021 “Show-Of-Shows”

I encountered a CAP grouping for-sale which might have some bearing on you discussion above?  I didn’t buy the grouping because I didn’t know what the initials “CPC” represented?  But I did snap a few pictures…

IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

If you look closely at the picture of the two jumpers embracing, the female has that CPC patch on her right shoulder.  

Triplecanopy, might that small patch with the chute, but no wings, be the evasive piece you’re referring too?

I don’t have any idea of what the circular black patch with gold trim might represent? 

As shown above, the parachute patch without wings is (was)the non-jumper patch. It was issued to prospective CAP parachutists and was worn on the right upper arm of the uniform.

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG