Vietnam Era M1 Restoration

daswrack

5 minutes ago, Justin said:

It's tape residue from state side training, the wearers name on front and back. 

J Murray sells the liner suspension for $15. 

thanks for the fact about the tape residue, that helps with my painting decision, and yes i know about j murray, but ebay has the late war suspension for 10 bucks depending on where, and im trying to keep it to original parts

23 minutes ago, daswrack said:

thanks for the fact about the tape residue, that helps with my painting decision, and yes i know about j murray, but ebay has the late war suspension for 10 bucks depending on where, and im trying to keep it to original parts

They are all original and the type needed to restore your liner.

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

They are all original and the type needed to restore your liner.

most of what i saw were reproductions, the website jmurray1944.com right?

The Rooster
On 3/30/2021 at 10:40 AM, aef1917 said:

I don't normally advocate its use, but if you're considering stripping and repainting, you might give Whink a try to deal with the rust.

+1 Whink rust remover.... Thats the best stuff I ever used on a helmet. Just removes the rust and leaves the paint alone. I used it to uncover a name inside the back of this helmet.

Just over the name. It removed just the rust so the name is readable. Did not effect the paint.

j.jpg.1a2e9ba4efc7783ee8048863fa156bb1.jpg

DSCF2790.JPG.4240df9bdef35f0bb1e7982efccff975.JPG

DSCF2795.JPG.da2ffff3d6c9e3515b8a8c83078a560b.JPG

DSCF2871.JPG.c414ecae26473a3dff430a0eec117009.JPG.1eb0b9639d86174d65cc4113d357164a.JPG

7 hours ago, The Rooster said:

+1 Whink rust remover.... Thats the best stuff I ever used on a helmet. Just removes the rust and leaves the paint alone. I used it to uncover a name inside the back of this helmet.

Just over the name. It removed just the rust so the name is readable. Did not effect the paint.

j.jpg.1a2e9ba4efc7783ee8048863fa156bb1.jpg

DSCF2790.JPG.4240df9bdef35f0bb1e7982efccff975.JPG

DSCF2795.JPG.da2ffff3d6c9e3515b8a8c83078a560b.JPG

DSCF2871.JPG.c414ecae26473a3dff430a0eec117009.JPG.1eb0b9639d86174d65cc4113d357164a.JPG

thanks for the tip!

i am at least slightly stupid

i went to menards a couple hours ago to get some paint for the helmet, i grabbed house paint instead of spray paint, and i cant / dont wanna go back right now, so maybe this weekend but i am a certified idiot now

I would just try some "goo gone" to get the tape residue off and leave it be.

I have not seen a repainted helmet that didn't look like... well, a repainted helmet.

Just my .02.

52 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

I would just try some "goo gone" to get the tape residue off and leave it be.

I have not seen a repainted helmet that didn't look like... well, a repainted helmet.

Just my .02.

oll korrect

• 3 weeks later...

i have the suspension on the way, dont mind if i dissapear for quite a while as i have much more on my plate right now that restoration of the helmet is in the back of my mind

• 3 weeks later...

yea, although i find those 2 unneeded, i will probably get the sweatband, soldiers often abandoned the neck bands that were used on vietnam era helmets, and my goal was to get it good looking and wearable, so those are secondary, actually working on what could be somewhat considered basic vietnam field gear right now, and am gonna take a possible break from the helmet, i'll get to it eventually, but even with the helmet i will probably get a mitchells cover and helmet band first (quite stupid considering i spent all this time making it look nice, but a nice helmet needs good paint even with a cover). also, carrying additional first aid in helmet band, a possible thing that happened, cause im opposed to myself smoking, and would prefer something of similar dimensions to have on the helmet so its less bare, but i dont know if such a thing ever happened, i might just go with a good ol insect repellant if its not accurate, but it seems like a cool divergency to me

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, if anyone is still around, i'd like to ask a question, in vietnam, did the us army and us marine corps have different versions of the mitchell helmet cover? i know theres the marine corps frog skin camo, but, the marine corps ones and army ones often look a bit different

The leaf pattern cover was made from 1959 - 1977. The first ones are USMC specific but then adopted for all branches in 1962. 

The 1959 covers have a small white tag with contract information on it, 1962 - 1977 they had an ink stamp on one of the flaps, the Marines used the contract covers too. 

They all look identical for the most part. 

• 6 months later...

OI! i be back, ive gotten a few accessories for the helmet, namely: helmet cover, helmet band, P38 can opener, 9th infantry division pin, and a deck of cards, i should like to add a bandage

helm2.jpg

helm3.jpg