Vietnam Era M1 Restoration

daswrack

Rather recently i got an m1 helmet in rough shape, its nothing on the baseline that seems too difficult but it is my first restoration, starting this up to help me find some tips on working on it (good brands of paint, corking, liner repairs, places to get parts ect.) these are some pictures i stole from the ebay listing i bought the helmet from as my camera is horrid so used them. so far ive stripped out the broken suspension and removed the attatchment crimps, the liner is looks worse than it is, its an Nsn ground troops liner.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

"Rapco" makes a good line of paint in different shades. "J. Murray" sells all the parts you need. When done, mark the liner and shell as restored as not to deceive anyone.

Good luck with your restoration!

12 minutes ago, daswrack said:

question: does the helmet texture work out better with cork or sand?

i would say go with sand

8 minutes ago, PMAN12094 said:

i would say go with sand

thanks, that'll be easy as i have a beach nearby

7 minutes ago, daswrack said:

thanks, that'll be easy as i have a beach nearby

you probably should like screen it out . To get all the other crap in it out. ebay may also bee helpful for some parts like the nape strap and liner suspension 

9 minutes ago, PMAN12094 said:

you probably should like screen it out . To get all the other crap in it out. ebay may also bee helpful for some parts like the nape strap and liner suspension 

yea, im gonna do that, ill give updates when things get done, im pretty tight on money at all times so its gonna be a while

what im gonna get for the repairs goes from ammount of importance to be able to actually wear the helmet: suspension then chin straps then nape strap/neck band ect

CavalryCombatant

As others stated, Jmurry sells original liner components for the later helmets with the removable suspension (like yours) for about twenty USD if I recall.  

Best of luck on your project,

CC

14 hours ago, CavalryCombatant said:

As others stated, Jmurry sells original liner components for the later helmets with the removable suspension (like yours) for about twenty USD if I recall.  

Best of luck on your project,

CC

13 hours ago, Justin said:

The liner is post Vietnam. All you need to do is replace the suspension. It's a one piece suspension system. It snaps in 

yes, i know ive already stripped the suspension, im trying to keep it all original parts and i can get original suspension for about half that price on ebay

at first i thought the warping on the liner would be a huge problem and i would have to get a new one all together, but when it actually arrived i realized that i can manage, i can probably bend it into shap slowly with a brick or something

took care of some of the rust on the rim, used some wd 40 on the bails since they were stiff, and thats about it so far

now the way i understand it, being in good condition, never tampered with helmets are more expensive because theyre original and still look good, but a collector if they dont have that kind of money to throw around wouldnt mind a restored helmet as long as its at a reasonable price, so by the nature of restoration, it is devalued, but the helmet itself is original, the worse you can do is magically destroy it completely and have to get a new one, best you can do is fix it up and repaint it and add like $10 to the original price of the messed up helmet, so it is forced to be a loss of money, but i restore things for my own collection and dont plan to sell anything (except for maybe some patches and other assorted small items) so its no matter to me, but this is what i understand of restoration

to try getting some conversation in here again, do you all think that the eyeband should be on the helmet with netting/ camo covers, or do you think it looks ok without

BILL THE PATCH
question: does the helmet texture work out better with cork or sand?

cork is fine. Like members said, j Murray is the go to guy for parts an tools to restore. , And he sells cork already ground up.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, daswrack said:

to try getting some conversation in here again, do you all think that the eyeband should be on the helmet with netting/ camo covers, or do you think it looks ok without

If you are doing as a VN era helmet then a camo foliage band without the "cats eyes" over a Mitchell pattern camo cover would be appropriate.

Otherwise you could do a woodland camo cover with the cats eye band for the 74-80's look. But the use of camo nets was pretty much over.

51 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

cork is fine. Like members said, j Murray is the go to guy for parts an tools to restore. , And he sells cork already ground up.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I believe sand/silica is proper for Vietnam era M1s.

To be honest, by the time you replace the chin straps, paint/texture, liner webbing, and rear nape strap, you'll probably have in it close to what it's worth. 

If you're going to throw a cover on it, maybe it's worth it just to deal with the rust and not bother with repainting it.

5 minutes ago, Nickman983 said:

If you're going to throw a cover on it, maybe it's worth it just to deal with the rust and not bother with repainting it.

good to have less rust even with a cover though

I don't normally advocate its use, but if you're considering stripping and repainting, you might give Whink a try to deal with the rust.

1 minute ago, aef1917 said:

I don't normally advocate its use, but if you're considering stripping and repainting, you might give Whink a try to deal with the rust.

im actually debating if theres enough paint left on it to warrant repainting or not, because its pretty dusty and caked on stuff, so im gonna find time to wash it first

theres also some markings that look like some kind of paint stripes on front and back that make me hesitate repainting as well, heres some pictures now

IMG_20210331_155838.jpg

IMG_20210331_155824.jpg

IMG_20210331_155814.jpg

IMG_20210331_155801.jpg

It's tape residue from state side training, the wearers name on front and back. 

J Murray sells the liner suspension for $15.