Things to do IVO JB Little Creek/Fort Story

Attending a school down in the Norfolk area next month...all month. Looking for some stuff to keep me entertained. Due to COVID, we are banned from doing much off base in businesses. So I guess what I'm looking for are good places to eat, that do take out (which I guess is probably most places now), or things to do outside (historical sites, etc).

It's rather inconvenient that when I finally get an assignment with lots of travel, there's more restrictions due to COVID than when I was in a combat zone

• 3 weeks later...
postmanusnac

Bummer that you aren’t able to do much off base. Suggest going to military aviation museum if you can. It’s down in Pungo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

collectsmedals

I was stationed in Norfolk, but that was over 40 years ago so I would not be much help with restaurant suggestions. However, I would definitely make time to go to downtown Norfolk and visit the MacArthur Memorial Museum.  General of the Army Douglas MacArthur and his wife Jean are buried there under the central dome, and there is a great museum with lots of his personal artifacts, including uniforms, medals, and his famous pipe and sunglasses. 

I actually don't work far from there...surprised I never saw this post before. If my ship was around, I'd be happy to give you a tour. A tour of my current cube farm is no less than sleep-inducing... 😄

There are several places in the area that were featured in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, including one called Jessy's: http://jessysov.com/ that's not all of a ten-minute drive from Little Creek right there on Shore Drive (I pass it every time I drive there). There are some other great places to eat as well, such as Doumar's in downtown Norfolk: https://www.doumars.com/ 

If you want to see some cool sand dunes and a LOT of people this time of year, take a trip down to the outer banks some weekend. It's truly beautiful and it's where the Wright Brothers flew their first flight (and, remarkably...there's a museum there about it as well...)

Can't forget about the battleship and Nauticus in downtown Norfolk. 

There's also the Virginia Military Museum and the Transportation Corps Museum over on the north side of the water, as well as historic Jamestown, Williamsburg, and the Yorktown Battlefield. 

And, if you want to make the drive, you're about 4 hours away from Robert Wilson's place in Fayetteville. If guns are more your liking, Ed Hick's location is about 20 minutes from Robert's. 

Surprisingly, there's quite a bit to do around here, even with COVID going on. 

postmanusnac

I second Jessys on shore drive for food.

There are also tons of local breweries in the area, one on pleasure house in particular, that have a decent fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk