ERDL Jacket and tape badge questions

Webley

Hi

A few questions regarding pictured ERDL jacket

As you can see jacket has name tape over right hand pocket, the tape over the left-hand side packet has been removed.

You do not normally see these jackets with tapes sewn on and wonder what I should do. Leave it as is or add a US tape? and if I add a tape should it be Army or another branch of Service?

As I did not think these jackets were US Army issue? But were for Special forces and Marines, did the Marines add tape badges as I have never seen one.  

Lastly is the US Army tape pictured correct for Vietnam Period?   

Thanks Terry

IMG_20210325_131452.jpg

IMG_20210325_131410.jpg

IMG_20210325_131548.jpg

My buddy said he used ERDL well into the 1980s when he was in the Marines.  I'll ask him if he had a name tape back then.  The replacement U.S. Army tape looks much more recent than Vietnam era.  

FT.Monmouth1943

ERDL (both green and brown dominant) were used by just about every branch. Are there signs of any other insignia being on the jacket? If I had to take a guess, I’d say it’s probably Army or Air Force since tapes on USMC issued ERDL are less common. Also, do you have a close up picture of the name tape? Looks like it could be Vietnamese or Thai made. Also, whether you restore it or not, I would not consider using the army tape you show. Those were commonly used post Vietnam and you’ll find them on a lot of BDUs.

- Jakob

24 minutes ago, Webley said:

Hi

As you can see jacket has name tape over right hand pocket, the tape over the left-hand side packet has been removed.

You do not normally see these jackets with tapes sewn on and wonder what I should do. Leave it as is or add a US tape? and if I add a tape should it be Army or another branch of Service?

As I did not think these jackets were US Army issue? But were for Special forces and Marines, did the Marines add tape badges as I have never seen one.  

Thanks Terry

IMG_20210325_131452.jpg

IMG_20210325_131410.jpg

IMG_20210325_131548.jpg

Hi 

Have added extra pictures of tape, and as you can see from the label its 1970 dated.

You cant see by looking at the out side of the jacket, but hold it up to the light and look from the inside can see a pattern of holes, looks like it had corporal stripes

IMG_20210325_151420.jpg

IMG_20210325_151434.jpg

IMG_20210325_150135.jpg

FT.Monmouth1943
1 hour ago, PMAN12094 said:

looks like the army one would go well with it

No it would not. This name tape would be more correct for an 80s-early 2000s BDU

FT.Monmouth1943
1 hour ago, Webley said:

Hi 

Have added extra pictures of tape, and as you can see from the label its 1970 dated.

You cant see by looking at the out side of the jacket, but hold it up to the light and look from the inside can see a pattern of holes, looks like it had corporal stripes

IMG_20210325_151420.jpg

IMG_20210325_151434.jpg

IMG_20210325_150135.jpg

Hi, I was asking about the name tape sewn on to the uniform, not the branch tape. The branch tape you have is post war and not period correct. Also, photos of the outline of where the rank once was would be helpful too.

- Jakob

1 minute ago, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

No it would not. This name tape would be more correct for an 80s-early 2000s BDU

Im not the best when I comes to name tapes so yeh I kinda though someone would point out my mistake. Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, Webley said:

Hi

Thanks Terry

IMG_20210325_131452.jpg

IMG_20210325_131410.jpg

IMG_20210325_131548.jpg

Hi 

IMG_20210325_175226.jpg

IMG_20210325_175250.jpg

IMG_20210325_175557.jpg

51 minutes ago, Webley said:

Hi 

IMG_20210325_175226.jpg

IMG_20210325_175250.jpg

IMG_20210325_175557.jpg

Now that I see this picture of the ranks it’s going to be an Air Force one I believe.

26 minutes ago, PMAN12094 said:

Now that I see this picture of the ranks it’s going to be an Air Force one I believe.

Yep, that’s a Air Force one, rank shape is pretty typical.

About the name tape, remind some VN/ SW Asia local made ones but I’m not a expert on the topic

Marines didn't do embroidered name tapes during Vietnam.  AFAIK they only started it during Desert Storm.  

The story I heard (maybe apocryphal?) is that during those televised press conferences we all remember, the likes of Gen Schwartzkopf and Gen Powell (Army) would get up and speak and of course their DBDU uniforms had nicely embroidered name tapes, rank patches, unit patches and "scare badges" (CIB, jump wings, etc), then the Navy officer would get up there and his uniform also had US NAVY and his name, badges, etc, then the USAF officer would get up and his uniform had his name and US AIR FORCE tapes, and they all looked very crisp and professional 

Then the Marine general would get up there and all he had were stars on his collar - no identification, no USMC, nothing (I can't remember if the Marines had the iron-on EGA on the left pocket at this time or not.)  Anyway, someone high up in the Marine Corps decided that was a "bad look" for them so shortly thereafter they mandated name and US MARINES tapes on BDU and DBDU uniforms, a practice that (I think) continues to this day.  

As I said, this is a story I heard second or third hand but I believe my timing is correct:  Before Desert Storm, I don't recall seeing Marines with embroidered name tags or US Marine tapes on their utility/BDU uniforms.  

MilitaryPicker1941

Marines had tapes on their uniforms prior to Desert Storm. I have a few that belonged to a KIA Vietnam Marine. Have also seen a lot on P47 jackets

vintageproductions
1 hour ago, Martinjmpr said:

Marines didn't do embroidered name tapes during Vietnam.  AFAIK they only started it during Desert Storm.  

The story I heard (maybe apocryphal?) is that during those televised press conferences we all remember, the likes of Gen Schwartzkopf and Gen Powell (Army) would get up and speak and of course their DBDU uniforms had nicely embroidered name tapes, rank patches, unit patches and "scare badges" (CIB, jump wings, etc), then the Navy officer would get up there and his uniform also had US NAVY and his name, badges, etc, then the USAF officer would get up and his uniform had his name and US AIR FORCE tapes, and they all looked very crisp and professional 

Then the Marine general would get up there and all he had were stars on his collar - no identification, no USMC, nothing (I can't remember if the Marines had the iron-on EGA on the left pocket at this time or not.)  Anyway, someone high up in the Marine Corps decided that was a "bad look" for them so shortly thereafter they mandated name and US MARINES tapes on BDU and DBDU uniforms, a practice that (I think) continues to this day.  

As I said, this is a story I heard second or third hand but I believe my timing is correct:  Before Desert Storm, I don't recall seeing Marines with embroidered name tags or US Marine tapes on their utility/BDU uniforms.  

Every Marine Advisor wore in-country made US MARINES strips in Vietnam

As other members have observed, your Coat was worn by an Air Force Guy, a Staff Sergeant. And now because of that, it becomes very tricky in restoring it, but your lucky the NAME Tape is there still, usually its always the other way around, some one removes the NAME Tape.

Original Vietnam War Air Force Subdued insignia are hard to find to buy then Army ones for sure, that includes the Subdued AIR FORCE Tape, which were done up in Black thread, just like the NAME Tape that's still present, and enlisted men ranks, these commonly being South Vietnamese made.

My Dad was a Marine 58-63 and he wore a name tape with his last name and serial number above the pocket that had the stamped USMC/EGA. So, a pre-Vietnam combo though a bit different than an actual US Marines tape.    Scott

7 hours ago, patches said:

As other members have observed, your Coat was worn by an Air Force Guy, a Staff Sergeant. And now because of that, it becomes very tricky in restoring it, but your lucky the NAME Tape is there still, usually its always the other way around, some one removes the NAME Tape.

Original Vietnam War Air Force Subdued insignia are hard to find to buy then Army ones for sure, that includes the Subdued AIR FORCE Tape, which were done up in Black thread, just like the NAME Tape that's still present, and enlisted men ranks, these commonly being South Vietnamese made.

True story...

I got my hands on countless jungle jackets or Og107 since the early 2000s, and still have today few air force modified JJ that I wasn't able to find south vietnamese made ranks or tapes for complete them. Theses lil devils are hard to come by

Such a bummer.

19 hours ago, Webley said:

Hi

Thanks Terry

IMG_20210325_131452.jpg

IMG_20210325_131410.jpg

IMG_20210325_131548.jpg

Hi 

Hi

I had not even considered that it might be an Air Force jacket. I am so used to seeing Air Force jackets with shortened sleeves and in OG107. I have never before seen an ERDL jacket for sale or in pictures.

(attached picture of one of my Air Force Jackets)

I know little of Air Force troops in Vietnam. Did they have reconnaissance or extraction teams etc. As I do not see what would necessitate the wearing of camo on an Air base?   

I will start my search for the missing badges I might already have a lead on an Air Force tape    . Will keep you updated

Thanks for every ones input

RIP-STOP COAT 1968.jpg

Air Force had ground combat and support units all over South Vietnam, three of which which could and did come face to face with"Mister Charles"  Security Police, Aerospace Rescue, and Combat Control Teams, all these troops did wear from around 1968 the ERDL stuff on many occasions.

On your U.S. AIR FORCE Tape hunt, be advised you must buy one that has Black thread, do not get one that has Blue thread, these came out in the late-sh 70s post Vietnam period, ditto on the subdued ranks, no Blue ones.

Here's a topic that talks about the Blue Subdued Tapes and ranks,

• 2 weeks later...

In Okinawa it was allowed to have name tapes made by local tailors in some commands.  Regular Marines in VN didn't have them.  A few would stencil the EGA, but most wore the green and ERDL jackets plain.  The guys assigned to ARVN units did have tapes and usually an ARVN patch on their pocket.